All z/VSE PTFs to support the enhanced z13 and the new z13s processors are now available. That is you can prepare your z/VSE system for the new processors.
The new processors are planned to be available next week, March 10, 2016 - see my announcement blog entry - here.
Our z/VSE status web page reflect the z13 / z13s too for releases in service - here - and older releases - here.
z/VSE support for z13 / z13s:
- z/VSE 5.1, 5.2 and 6.1 support z13 / z13s.
- No PTFs are required to run z/VSE on z13 / z13s.
- PTFs for IOCP, EREP and HLASM are available - see Preventive Service Planning (PSP) buckets
- z13 / z13s support Crypto Express5S only. All z/VSE releases in service (5.1, 5.2 and 6.1) support that new crypto card. z/VSE provides more domain support. That is the crypto card can be shared among all LPARs. Dependent on your service level, PTFs may be required.
- You may configure up to 85 z13 LPARs and up to 40 z13s LPARs.
- z/VSE supports the new FICON Express16S for FICON- attached devices, CTC and FCP-attached SCSI disks.
- The new z/VSE Network Appliance (see blog entry), developed for z/VSE only, is planned to be available on June 30, 2016.
- z/VSE supports absolute group capping with the QVS system API.
- Please use the latest SCRT version, that contains the z13s support.
Please also consider that
- ESCON devices can not be attached to z13 / z13s. If you have such devices still, you need to attach them to a ESCON - FICON converter.
- z/VM 5.4 does not run on z13 / z13s. If you are dependent on z/VM, you need z/VM Version 6. Please also consider any z/VM requirements for z13 / z13s.
The required service level to support the z13 / z13s is summarized in the corresponding Preventive Service Planning (PSP) buckets for z/VSE.
To select the PSB you need to know the Machine Type (M/T):
- z13: M/T 2964
- z13s: M/T 2965
On web page "Preventive Service Planning buckets" you can search for those "devices" - here.
z/VSE PSBs are:
z/VM PSBs are