Just lately we got some questions about the z/VSE Fast Service Upgrade (FSU), I addressed this topic in earlier blog entries, want to summarize that with this blog entry and give additional information.
Traditionally you use the FSU process to upgrade your system to the current maintenance level. That is you perform an FSU to install a new modification level of z/VSE (or service refresh).
If you want to upgrade to
- z/VSE 5.2 - you have 2 options: initial installation or FSU. You may use FSU to upgrade from z/VSE 4.3 or z/VSE 5.1 to z/VSE 5.2.
- z/VSE 6.1 - you have to perform an initial installation. FSU to z/VSE 6.1 is not supported.
- upcoming z/VSE 6.2 you have again 2 options: initial installation or FSU from z/VSE 6.1. An upgrade from z/VSE 5.2 to z/VSE 6.2 requires an initial installation.
Unlike an initial installation, the FSU does not replace user data and hardware configuration tables. It only replaces system data. So FSU may reduce the effort to upgrade to a new z/VSE release.
We offer FSU to new refresh levels or new z/VSE versions / releases since VSE/ESA 2.4 without the need for an initial installation.
An initial installation was only required from releases prior to VSE/ESA 2.4, because of adaptations to the CICS Transaction Server in VSE/ESA 2.4 (first VSE release with the CICS TS)..
Because of the new CICS version - CIICS TS for z/VSE 2.1 in z/VSE 6.1 - an initial installation is also required to migrate from z/VSE 5.2 to z/VSE Version 6.
Now I have some hints and tips - Thanks for this summary, Elke.
The FSU process can be started with the z/VSE IUI dialogs.
If you plan to use FSU, we recommend the following preparation steps:
- -- Read the following chapters in the z/VSE 5.2 (or z/VSE 6.2, when available) books:
- z/VSE Planning, chapter "Installing z/VSE via FSU"
- z/VSE System Upgrade and Service, chapter " What you must know before you start with the fast service upgrade"
- Contact your vendors, if they have any updates for your target system. If so, get their updates and instructions before you start with the FSU process.
- Backup your system / data
- Check, if necessary VSAM space is available
- If you changed the location of serviced files, did you use the dialog "141 Verify Location of Involved Serviced Files" ?
- Check the RDR queue, if there are old FSU jobs (D RDR,*DTRFSU); delete such jobs.
- Check in your primary ICCF library, if there is an old FSU job (default name: DTRFSU or FSUPREP): delete or rename it.
- Have the new z/VSE tape available (real tape or virtual tape in VSAM space).
- If you want to upgrade to a new service refresh, do a down-level check (can be selected on IUI panel "1431 Down-Level Check")
- Now you have to start with FSU preparation
- Use dialog "1432 FSU Preparation", to create the preparation job. Run that job.
Attention: It is essential that the dialog "1432 FSU Preparation" is done and the created job runs and is finished, before the dialog "1433 FSU Installation" is used to create a job!
Fast Service Upgrade step:
- After the FSU preparation job finishes successful, create the FSU installation job and submit it.I
- At the console you should see the following messages (Stage 1 Job DTRFSU14).
- If you do an FSU from z/VSE 5.1 to 5.2:
* THIS FAST SERVICE UPGRADE IS
* FROM Z/VSE 5.1 TO Z/VSE 5.2
- If you do an FSU from z/VSE 5.2 to 5.2.x
* THIS FAST SERVICE UPGRADE IS
* A REFRESH OF Z/VSE 5.2
- If you do an FSU from z/VSE 6.1 to 6.2 (when z/VSE 6.2 is available)
* THIS FAST SERVICE UPGRADE IS
* FROM Z/VSE 6.1 TO Z/VSE 6.2
- If this is not the expected information, end the job stream and redo the FSU preparation.
- The z/VSE system, where FSU stage 1 runs, was IPLed from DOSRES. Be sure that all jobs run successfully. The last job is DTRCLFSU.
- Important: When stage 1 has finished:
- SHUTDOWN ALL PARTITIONS EXCEPT POWER.
If you miss to end a job, this job will run, if IPLed from SYSWK1 (stage 2), and it may impact FSU jobs.
- Remember to POFFLOAD the POWER files.
For stage 2 you have to use $$JCLFSU.
- On stage 2 (IPLed from SYSWK1), the system runs without security..
- If you need to restart from DOSRES after the POWER files are migrated, you need to perform a cold start.
- You can request a cold start with Command MSG BG within a ten-second time limit, after message IESI0211 was issued by z/VSE
during the startup of partition BG or via LOADPARM ...P specified during system IPL.
Now a few tips for pitfalls that might happen during FSU:
FSU preparation step not executed
- For FSU the IUI dialog 1432 (FSU Preparation) must be selected and the created job must run. This step is important to get to a successful FSU. In case you forget this step, the error messages do not show this problem at first. Below are some messages that might indicate that situation:
STEP 24B REFRESH MESSAGE FILE FAILURE:
BG 0000 * STEP 24B: REFRESH MESSAGE FILE
BG 0000 4191I TAPE FILE PROCESSING FAILURE RC=084 IN SYS004=181
ACTUAL BLOCK CONTAINS A RECORD WITH INCONSISTENT RECORD LENGTH (RECFORM=SPN AND VAR)
- STEP 27: UPDATE RESIDENCE failed.
- Product CF951C and CF951D not found.
- The listed products are on the old VSE level.
Space problem during FSU to z/VSE 5.2
- During FSU to z/VSE 5.2, IBM TCP/IP for VSE/ESA 1.5F is installed in library PRD2.TCPIPC. The library resides in the VSAM master catalog. If there is not enough space available, the FSU will abend in job DTRFSU4D with the following message: 1QC3I MEMBER IPNCSD.Z NOT FOUND IN PRD2.TCPIPC
- See the z/VSE 5.2 Planning book section Release Upgrade: VSAM Space considerations for a Release Upgrade via FSU. There you get more information on the amount of free space required. So you can calculate the additional space for the master catalog.
- IBM TCP/IP for z/VSE V2 is installed in PRD2.TCPIPC on z/VSE Version 6.
- IBM IPv6/VSE is installed in PRD2.TCPIPB on z/VSE Version 6.
More information about FSU is described in the z/VSE Planning book. Fast Service Upgrade is described in detail in the z/VSE System Upgrade and Service book. Both books are on the z/VSE documentation web page.
Have a good weekend.