On April 11, 2017 we announced the preview for z/VSE 6.2. So you know most of the content of this new release already.
Today we have exiting news: The GA (general availability) announcement of z/VSE 6.2.
Orders for new z/VSE 6.2 licenses will be accepted from November 28, 2017.
z/VSE 6.2 is planned to be available on December 1, 2017. It can run on z114, z196, zBC12, zEC12, z13, z13s and z14.
Below is a quick overview what you can expect in z/VSE 6.2:
- Hardware support
- High Performance FICON (zHPF)
- z13 / z14 Vector Facility (Single Instruction Multiple Data - SIMD)
- Elliptic Curve Cryptography (ECC) accelerated with CryptoExpress5S of z13 / z13s or CryptoExpress6S on z14, exploited by openSSL
- FlashCopy Space Efficient (SE) for Extent Space Efficient (ESE) volumes configured in an DS8880
- Tapeless initial installation using SCSI or FBA disks
- Support for stand-alone dump on SCSI disks
- CICS TS for z/VSE enhancements (CICS TS for z/VSE 2.2)
- CICS Explorer enhancements (define programs, files, etc.)
- Channels & containers enhancements
- HTTP 1.1 upgrade for CICS Web Support (CWS)
- Assembler main (Language Environment) support for applications
- Connector enhancements
- z/VSE SOAP engine to exploit Channels and Containers
- z/VSE database connector enhancements
- Security enhancements
- Basic Security Manager (BSM) enhancement
- IUI dialog for batch resources (DTSECTAB security)
- SSL/TLS support of openSSL or SSL of TCP/IP stack in CICS Web Support
- EZA Multiplexer and EZA openSSL support
- SSL/TLS connection to secure remote VTAPE network transfer
- LDAP sign-on enhancements
- VSE/POWER enables TLS 1.0 (and higher) for PNET SSL connections
- Networking enhancements
- Linux Fast Path (LFP) running as z/VM guest can communicate with with a TCP/IP stack in LPAR
- IBM IPv6/VSE 1.3
- New FTP server security interface
- SSH copy facility
- TXT2PDF generation facility
- IBM TCP/IP for z/VSE 2.2
- Provides TLS 1.1 and 1.2 support
- DL/I 1.12 enhancement (via PTF after GA)
- DL/I partitioning for direct (HD) databases (removed 4GB segment type limitation
Fast Service Upgrade (FSU) from z/VSE 6.1 to z/VSE 6.2 supported. You can not use FSU from z/VSE V5 to z/VSE 6.1 or z/VSE 6.2.
Product delivery of z/VSE on DVD and electronically only.
The announcement letter with the z/VSE 6.2 GA is here.
The CICS TS for z/VSE 2.2 announcement letter is here.
I will provide more details about z/VSE 6.2 in a Live Virtual Class (LVC), planned for November 28, 2017.
Additional remark: If you plan to migrate to z/VSE 6.1, please order z/VSE 6.1 now, because if z/VSE 6.2 is orderable (November 28), z/VSE 6.1 can no longer be ordered.
My recommendation: If you migrate from z/VSE Version 5 or earlier and you are on the z114 / z196 or higher, I would directly go to z/VSE 6.2 to get the benefits of the additional functionality.
I am at the zUniversity conference in Munich all week. Therefore you will see my next blog entry on Monday October 16.