Today I want to continue with the z/VSE 6.2 enhancements as announced in the preview. The announcement letter is here. z/VSE is planned to be available in the 4th quarter of 2017.
z/VSE 6.2 will contain a new CICS release - CICS TS for z/VSE 2.2. It replaces CICS TS for z/VSE V2.1. CICS TS for z/VSE 2.2 can not run on prior z/VSE releases, and prior CICS TS releases can not run on z/VSE 6.2. You may use Fast Service Upgrade (FSU) from z/VSE 6.1 to migrate to z/VSE 6.2. A migration from z/VSE V5 requires a new installation. In that case FSU is not supported.
Now I have same more details about CICS TS for z/VSE 2.2. It will provide the following enhancements:
- Enhancements to the CICS Explorer to more easily manage CICS resources:
- Define new CICS resources and modify or delete existing resources.
- Monitor, control, and update dynamic storage areas and global temporary storage queue statistics.
- Support "definitions" views for selected CICS resources.
- OpenSSL for CICS Web Support will give more flexibility and allow to take advantage of the openSSL security.
- An upgrade of CICS Web Support (CWS) to HTTP 1.1:
- CWS has been upgraded to comply with HTTP 1.1, providing support for the latest web browsers and applications. New function has been added to improve performance and security., such as persistent connections - send keep alive headers to leave the connection open,
- pipelining - sending of multiple requests without waiting for a response before sending the next request,
- chunking - The body of a message is transferred as a series of chunks, each with its own size indicator and data.
- Enhancements to the CICS API to provide:
- CICS TS for z/VSE 2.1 available with z/VSE 6.1 introduced Channels & Containers. The corresponding APIs allow to exchange larger amount of data between CICS applications than the CICS COMMAREA (limited to 32K). CICS TS for z/VSE 2.2 will further enhance Channels and Containers and provide
- Support for UTF-8 and UTF-16, for use in data conversion, when using the channels and containers API.
- Support for the APPEND parameter for PUT CONTAINER, to append specified data to existing container data.
- Support for the BYTEOFFSET parameter for GET CONTAINER, to retrieve data at a specified offset in a container.
- Support for date and time stamp formats that are in general use across the internet.
- Support for Language Environment (LE) MAIN for Assembler applications. A new translator option (LEASM) will be provided, which causes LE functions to be used and set up the program's environment.