I am still travelling - yesterday from South Korea to the IBM Systems Technical University (zUniversity) in Orlando.
In May 2015 we announced the preview for z/VSE 6.1. So you know the content of this new release already.
Today at the first day of the zUniversity conference we have exiting news: The GA (general availability) announcement of z/VSE 6.1.
Orders for new z/VSE licenses will be accepted from November 24, 2015.
z/VSE 6.1 is planned to be available on November 27, 2015. It can run on z10, z114, z196, zBC12, zEC12 and z13.
Below is a quick overview what you can expect in z/VSE 6.1:
- The latest hardware support
- IBM z13 support
- Configurable Crypto Express5S
- FICON Express16S for ECKD, channel to channel and SCSI devices
- IBM System Storage options
- IBM System Storage TS7700 Virtualization Engine Release 3.3
- IBM System Storage DS8870 Release 7.5 (ECKD and FCP-attached SCSI disks)
- IBM FlashSystem V900 for use with FCP-attached SCSI disks.
- New CICS version: CICS TS for z/VSE 2.1 - fullfills Statement of Direction (SOD)
- CICS TS for z/VSE 2.1 will only run on z/VSE 6.1 and higher; CICS TS for VSE/ESA 1.1.1 will not run on z/VSE 6.1
- CICS Explorer update capability
- Channel & Container support - Lifts the 32K Commarea limitation
- CICS requirements
- More current cypher suites (AES128/256) to CICS Web Support
- Support for EXEC CICS INQUIRE SYSTEM OSLEVEL
- Millisecond option added to some EXEC CICS commands
- Networking enhancements - These will only be available for z/VSE 6.1 and higher.
- IPv6/VSE 1.2 - a new release of BSI‘s TCP/IP stack
- Automated OSA Express fail-over using hot swap devices for high availability
- Improved stack CPU optimization
- Improved SSL support including TLS 1.2 and DH/ECC sockets
- Virtual IP address support using virtual network devices
- Basic firewall support
- TCP/IP for z/VSE 2.1 – new version - a new version of CSI‘s TCP/IP stack
- Internal processing improvements
- Cross memory services for external partition socket requests
- New utilities for automation and TN3270 services
- Enhanced TLS/SSL cryptography
- New white-list firewall feature
- Configurable output buffers for HiperSockets and OSA Express devices
- MQ Client Trigger Monitor
- If a message arrives on a WebSphere MQ server queue, the trigger monitor may start a CICS program.Together with the MQ Client for z/VSE this might help some customers without a MQ server on z/VSE.
z/VSE 6.1 requires an initial installation. Fast Service Upgrade (FSU) from z/VSE V5 is not supported.
However, we introduce a new Migration Price Option (MPO) for z/VSE 6.1, which gives better pricing during the migration compared to Single Version Charging (SVC) of up to 18 month.
I have more details in a blog entry I plan for tomorrow. ... and we will provide a migration white paper at GA.
I described all new technical functions in earlier blog entries after the preview announcement in May. Just browse back in my blog or use the tags to search for a specific topic.
.. and there is a new Statement of Diretion (SOD):
IBM plans to deliver future upgrades of z/VSE on DVD or electronically only.
The announcement letter with the z/VSE 6.1 availability announcement is here.
CICS TS for z/VSE 2.1 is only available with z/VSE 6.1. There is a CICS TS for z/VSE 2.1 announcement letter too - here.