Today we have a major new announcement for z/VSE Version 6. It gives you some information about what's new this year and which functionality you can expect in the future in terms of Statement of general direction (SoD).
Below I listed the key items. You will get more information in later blog entries.
The announcement briefly describes the z/VSE 6.1 content you got last November and then goes into the new hardware support for the midrange processor - IBM z13s:
- z/VSE Network Appliance using the z Appliance Container Infrastructure (zACI)
for use with the z/VSE Linux Fast Path function (LFP). I had already a blog entry on that one. Available June 30, 2016.
- Configurable Crypto Express5S for data encryption and SSL acceleration
- FICON Express16S for link rates of up to 16 Gbps
Support for enhanced IBM System Storage options:
- IBM System Storage DS8800 (ECKD and FCP attached SCSI disks)
... And we have news about the Migration Pricing Option (MPO). Last November we announced MPO for z/VSE 6.1. Now the new versions of CICS TS for z/VSE 2.1 and IBM TCP/IP for z/VSE 2.1 are also added. MPO can be used during the migration period of max. 18 month from an old version to the new one. We also changed the MPO text based on the feedback we got from our customers. See the new MPO text in the announcement letter.
Now the items for the future, as Statement of general direction:
- Exploitation of IBM z Systems
- increased performance using High Performance FICON for z Systems (zHPF)
- Elliptic Curve Cryptography (ECC) support in z/VSE openSSL
- Ease of use functionality for SCSI systems
- initial installation using a SCSI installation disk
- The following enhancements are planned for a future release of the CICS TS for z/VSE:
- CICS Explorer enhancements
- define new, change and delete CICS resources (programs, files, transactions)
- monitor and control or update dynamic storage areas and global temporary storage queue statistics
- use of definition views
- Channel and container enhancements
- support of UTF-8 and UTF-16 in code page conversion
- add the APPEND parameter for PUT CONTAINER to append data in to an existing container
- add the BYTEOFFSET parameter for GET CONTAINER to retrieve data beginning at a specified offset
- Enhancements related to CICS TS for z/VSE - web services:
- z/VSE SOAP engine to exploit channels and containers.
- new z/VSE REST engine with JSON support
- Security enhancements:
- Basic Security Manager (BSM) enhanced - new IUI (Interactive User Interface) dialogs to manage batch resources to be defined in the batch DTSECTAB security table, providing administration for online and batch resources from IUI
- Product delivery of z/VSE on DVD and electronically only planned for future upgrades of z/VSE.
Disclaimer: IBM's statements regarding its plans, directions, and intent are subject to change or withdrawal without notice at IBM's sole discretion. See announcement letter for full disclaimer text.
You can find more detail in the z/VSE announcement letter - here.
Please let me know what you think about the announcement.