Today IBM announced a new IBM z Systems midrange processor - the IBM z13s, which is especially of interest for z/VSE users. Besides the z13s the announcement letter also describes enhancements to the existing IBM z13.
The announcement letter for the z13s and z13 enhancements "Expanding the IBM Systems' portfolio with additions to IBM z Systems and IBM LinuxONE " is here.
The planned availability date for z13s and z13 enhancements is March 10, 2016.
You may also use the z13s web page as a source of information, such as the data sheet, specifications, features & benefits, z13s FAQs, ...
I also recommend the z13s Redbook page - here.
For z/VSE users the z13s provides
- The latest hardware technology
- Higher single engine (PU) performance for z/VSE workloads, batch and online
- Benefits for Linux on z Systems, if you run Linux together with z/VSE
- Support for the Crypto Express5S adapter with support of greater than 16 domains
- Support for the FICON Express16S adapter
- A new z/VSE Network Appliance
z/VSE includes a function called Linux Fast Pass (LFP). It allows selected TCP/IP applications to communicate via the TCP/IP stack on Linux on z System without requiring a TCP/IP stack on z/VSE. On z13 or z13s with the correct firmware level the z/VSE Network Appliance is an integrated solution providing TCP/IP stack functionality. TCP/IP applications running on z/VSE in LPAR may use LFP to communicate via the z/VSE Network Appliance. I will post more information about the z/VSE Network Appliance in a later blog entry.
If you can't wait, please see the z13s Q & As or announcement letter for more detail - here. It is planned to be available on June 30, 2016.
- Customer may choose Advanced Entry Workload License Charges (AEWLC), subject to all applicable terms and conditions. More detail are here
See also the z13s Q & As - here
Please see also the following announcement related to z13s: Technology Transition Offerings for the IBM z13s offer price-performance advantages. It is here.