z/VSE 6.2 includes a new CICS TS release - CICS TS for z/VSE 2.2. It replaces CICS TS fo z/VSE 2.1 on z/VSE 6.2 and is not supported on z/VSE 6.1.
CICS TS for z/VSE 2.1 is still supported on z/VSE 6.1.
Below you will find a summary of the CICS TS for z/VSE 2.2 enhancements:
- Enhancements to the CICS Explorer to more easily manage CICS resources:
- Define new CICS resources and modify or delete existing resources.
- Monitor, control, and update dynamic storage areas and global temporary storage queue statistics.
- Support "definitions" views for selected CICS resources.
- OpenSSL for CICS Web Support will give more flexibility and allow to take advantage of the openSSL security.
- An upgrade of CICS Web Support (CWS) to HTTP 1.1:
CWS has been upgraded to comply with HTTP 1.1, providing support for the latest web browsers and applications. New function has been added to improve performance and security, such as
- persistent connections - send keep alive headers to leave the connection open,
- pipelining - sending of multiple requests without waiting for a response before sending the next request,
- chunking - The body of a message is transferred as a series of chunks, each with its own size indicator and data.
- Enhancements to the CICS Channels & Containers API:
CICS TS for z/VSE 2.1 available with z/VSE 6.1 introduced Channels & Containers. The corresponding APIs allow to exchange larger amount of data between CICS applications than the CICS COMMAREA (limited to 32K). CICS TS for z/VSE 2.2 will further enhance Channels and Containers and provide support for
- UTF-8 and UTF-16, for use in data conversion, when using the channels and containers API.
- APPEND parameter for PUT CONTAINER, to append specified data to existing container data.
- BYTEOFFSET parameter for GET CONTAINER, to retrieve data at a specified offset in a container.
- Additional CICS API enhancements - support for
- date and time stamp formats that are in general use across the internet.
- Language Environment (LE) MAIN for Assembler applications. A new translator option (LEASM) will be provided, which causes LE functions to be used and set up the program's environment.
- relative addressing instructions in Assembler programs (without base register)
The CICS TS enhancements are described in detail in the CICS TS for z/VSE 2.2 Enhancements Guide. You can download the guide here.