From time to time, I've run z/OS on the System z machines I have access to. Originally this was by obtaining the ADCD distribution (which I think stands for Application Development Customised Distribution, and there's a hyphen or a slash in the name somewhere too), but of late I've had access to alternative methods of installation. However I've obtained my z/OS builds though, as I've never actually been a z/OS systems programmer they've always been pre-built systems. I've never experienced a from-scratch installation of z/OS.
This is about to change. I've set myself a challenge: equipped with my very basic z/OS systems programming knowledge, the z/OS Customised Offering Driver system on DVD, and IBM Shopz, my plan is to build a z/OS Parallel Sysplex. Importantly, I plan to bring you along with me as I progress. It won't be a quick process, as I have to fit this around my day job (which for the next four weeks will be at the ITSO Poughkeepsie Center updating the "Security for Linux on System z" Redbook) but as I achieve milestones or hit major hurdles I'll let you know what's happening.
My first couple of milestones have already been achieved. Firstly, I have managed to get the DVD-based COD system installed and running. Some would say I've cheated a little, as I've used z/VM to avoid having to build a customised LPAR to match the IODF shipped with the COD. I may yet take my working IODF from the running system and install it into the COD system to be able to run the COD in an LPAR natively.
The second milestone was to get TCP/IP connectivity to the COD. Running under z/VM, I figured the easiest way to do this was to define a virtual OSA to connect to my z/VM VSWITCH. Consulting the documentation for the COD, I found out what device address to use for an OSA This worked fine, but when I tried to bring up the TCP/IP interface I'd coded I got this nasty response:
EZZ0060I PROCESSING COMMAND: VARY TCPIP,,STA,OSAQDIO600EZZ0053I COMMAND VARY START COMPLETED SUCCESSFULLYEZZ4336I ERROR DURING ACTIVATION OF INTERFACE OSAQDIO600 - CODE 8010002ADIAGNOSTIC CODE 02IST1631I OSATRL1E SUBCHANNEL 0601 QDIO DEVICE TYPE NOT OSD
When I displayed the channel paths, I saw all the paths defined as per my real IOCDS! The "virtual" CHPID that z/VM had chosen for the virtual OSA did not actually exist in the real IOCDS, which I saw when I tried to vary the devices online:
IEE103I UNIT 0600 NOT BROUGHT ONLINE 538IEE763I NAME= IOSVDSEO CODE= 0000000800000000IOS576I OSA DEVICES REQUIRE AN OSA CHANNEL PATH BUT TYPE 00 FOUNDTYPE=UNKNOWNIEE764I END OF IEE103I RELATED MESSAGES
The fix to this is to use an option on the z/VM DEFINE NIC command which is almost never used for Linux guests: the CHPID option. I had to define the virtual OSA to appear at the z/OS guest on a CHPID that in the real IOCDS was an actual OSA. This solved my problem, and allowed me to bring up TCP/IP and TN3270.
Now I can look at what to do to start the ServerPac installation. Before I do that though, I'm pretty sure I have to allocate some DASD. In fact, the instructions for the COD say I need to add page and spool datasets to the COD before I can do anything productive with the system...
Wish me luck!