As the year ends, I’ve been thinking about the larger trends in technology that are especially true for System z customers. Here are some of the trends I have observed. Do these make your top 10?
1. The economy drives more customers to revisit System z platform characteristics. New candidates for workload migration (including ISVs & application suites) and platform consolidation are on the table.
2. Environmental concerns are moving more customers to the System z, dynamic infrastructure, and IBM Green Planet technologies through executive level driven cost control and Green Initiatives.
3. Tighter controls and increased for optimization of systems are deriving new assurance, security, governance , and risk management programs which in turn are driving new looks at System z.
4. The new technologies represented by the System z10 have generated lots of attention; not just from the business class community, but also traditionally distributed platform infrastructures.
5. Installations are moving beyond basic portal access to the use of more advanced process collaborative technologies as IT continues to address complex people intensive interactions.
6. The ongoing IBM middleware evolution, including acquisitions, integration and migration across platforms (including System z), has created a more consumable and effective portfolio for clients.
7. Information on Demand technologies have matured and are truly starting to deliver the next generation of enterprise wide applications supported by all of the enterprise’s information.
8. Large installations are looking hard at modernization and transformation projects to move beyond connection and exposure of legacy assets to a more current infrastructure and use of SOA technologies.
9. New business models, virtualized infrastructures (SaaS), and governance procedures focusing on accountability are raising the importance of industry and true enterprise architecture solutions.
10. The On Demand Operating Environment was seen by many as a visionary milepost in the future. The call for a Smarter Planet, however, is being driven by customers, industry, and societies.
Have a great Holiday Season !![Read More]