As an IBM storage consultant and implementer I often discuss with my clients the concerns they have with storage systems from IBM and other vendors. Regarding FlashSystems, I often hear comments along these lines: “This is very expensive storage. Yes, it is extremely fast and it is the answer to our requirements for very fast storage. However our data grows quickly, and when data gets old it is no longer needed in the fast and expensive flash storage. Therefore we are manually migrating data to less expensive storage, which is a cumbersome operation".
Since the announcement of FlashSystem V9000 Version 7.8 on November 2, 2016 you do not need to worry any more about migrating data! Now IBM offers SAS attached high capacity SSD and nearline storage as less expensive supplements to fast and expensive flash storage. And IBM Easy Tier does the job of migrating the data to the most appropriate tier. Whether the need is a supplement of fast SSD capacity or the slower high capacity nearline storage, IBM FlashSystem V9000 offers breathtaking 32 PB of additional SSD storage or 29 PB of NL-SAS storage or a combination of these options.
In the November 2 announcement, don't miss the new storage 92F expansion enclosure from IBM. Now you can have 92 disks in just 5Us of rack space by using the model 92F expansion enclosure. With 92 disks of, for example 10 TB NL-SAS or 15.34 TB high capacity SSD, IBM FlashSystem V9000 expands capacity to the extreme. Now the system is not just extremely fast, it can also grow to extreme capacity of inexpensive storage. No need for migrating data any more: size does matter!
Check out other cool new features of FlashSystem V9000 in the new version of the IBM Redbooks Introducing and Implementing IBM FlashSystem V9000, SG24-8273-02. A few examples:
- NPIV support (Version 7.7.1): No more annoying and critical situations when updating firmware or a controller is down and the hosts loose access to the storage due to incorrect multipathing. When NPIV is enabled hosts WWNs are all virtual, and then no WWNs are missing during controller reboot or outages. As my client says “We don’t even get alarms any more when updating our system".
- Transparent cloud tiering (Version 7.8): IBM FlashSystem V9000 V7.8 includes transparent cloud tiering technology. This capability provides increased flexibility to protect data by leveraging the cloud as snapshot targets and restore snapshots from the cloud. Snapshots are encrypted and compressed before being uploaded to the cloud for more security, lower telecommunication costs, and lower cloud storage costs.
- IBM Security Key Lifecycle Manager (SKLM) support (Version 7.8): FlashSystem V9000 Software V7.8 adds improved security with support for encryption key management software that complies with the Key Management Interoperability Protocol (KMIP) standards, such as IBM Security Key Lifecycle Manager (SKLM) to help centralize, simplify, and automate the encryption key management process to help minimize risk and reduce operational costs of encryption key management.
For more information see the following resources:
- Introducing and Implementing IBM FlashSystem V9000
Flas hSys tem V900 0 Ve rsio n 7. 7 Pr oduc t Gu id e
- IBM FlashSystem V9000 HD Expansion Enclosure Model 92F delivers increased storage density and cost-efficient capacity
- IBM Spectrum Virtualize Software V7.8 delivers new software functionality for the Spectrum Virtualize family of offerings
- IBM Spectrum Virtualize Software V7.7.1 delivers increased software functionality and support for new hardware models
Carsten Larsen is an IBM Certified Senior IT Specialist working for the Technical Services Support (TSS) in IBM Denmark. Carsten delivers consultancy services to IBM clients on storage technologies. Carsten's responsibilities include delivering project management and storage implementation and migration services. Carsten joined IBM in 2007, leaving behind a job at Hewlett-Packard where he worked on HP Storage Arrays and UNIX for 10 years. Carsten has a obtained several Brocade and NetApp certifications. Carsten is the author of a number of IBM Redbooks on Brocade, NetApp and IBM Spectrum Virtualize products. Carsten is an author of the IBM Redbooks Introducing and Implementing IBM FlashSystem V9000.