Complex, aging, and inflexible IT infrastructures create business challenges and raise administration costs. Low utilization, low efficiency, and storage and performance bottlenecks create additional limitations. IBM FlashSystem storage products can be used with IBM PureFlex Systems to create seamless hardware integration across server, storage, and networking. PureFlex Systems also provide centralized management on the compute, storage, and network layers.
Here are 5 things you should know about integrating IBM FlashSystem in IBM PureFlex System environments.
1. PureFlex Systems are a comprehensive infrastructure system that provides an expert integrated computing system.
PureFlex Systems combine servers, enterprise storage, networking, virtualization, and management into a single structure. They help simplify management and flexibly deploy integrated patterns of virtual and hardware resources through unified management. PureFlex Systems support high-performance workloads that require microsecond latencies. FlashSystem storage provides this low latency that cannot be supplied by traditional hard disk and solid state drive architectures.
2. FlashSystem provides extremely fast storage that can be integrated into your existing environment.
FlashSystem storage products combine extreme performance, IBM MicroLatency, macro efficiency, and enterprise reliability to provide up to 24 TB of fast, energy-efficient flash storage in a small, 1U footprint. FlashSystem products:
- Have durable and reliable designs that use enterprise-class flash technology and patented data-protection technology with enterprise reliability.
- Are designed for cost-effective and high storage performance that is used to accelerate critical business applications.
- Feature patented Variable Stripe RAID (VSR™), 2D flash RAID, Active Spare support, error correction code (ECC) at the chip level, and other reliability technologies.
3. FlashSystem storage in a PureFlex System environment offers storage enhancements.
Combine FlashSystem storage with a PureFlex System to obtain the following benefits:
- Support for application workloads that require microsecond latencies
- Improved performance capabilities for applications that can use low latencies with IBM MicroLatency and extreme performance
- More compute and storage capabilities packed into the same footprint with macro efficiency
4. Adding a SAN Volume Controller to FlashSystem storage provides even more enhancements.
A SAN Volume Controller can be attached to a PureFlex System and used to manage FlashSystem storage. Use a SAN Volume Controller to provide advanced functionality, such as Thin Provisioning, IBM Easy Tier®, and IBM FlashCopy®. You can order a SAN Volume Controller separately or bundled with a FlashSystem product.
5. FlashSystem products can be integrated into your existing PureFlex System environment with IBM SmartCloud® Entry and IBM SmartCloud Monitoring.
IBM SmartCloud Entry Version 3.1 is an entry-level private cloud offering that builds on your existing virtualization infrastructure. Users can request and provision an environment quickly through an easy-to-use, web-based interface.
IBM SmartCloud Monitoring optimizes workloads and provides visibility through health dashboards, which increases cloud availability. It intelligently optimizes the usage of current resources and plans for future growth. IBM Tivoli® Storage Manager and SmartCloud Monitoring ensure resiliency and achieve high levels of virtualization density.
Read the IBM FlashSystem in IBM PureFlex System Environments IBM Redbooks Solution Guide, TIPS 1042 to learn more about features, usage scenarios, integration, compatibility, and ordering.