- Enables self service with a simple intuitive interface and improves productivity
- Offers fast time to value with a solution that is simple to deploy and easy to use
- Works with existing storage infrastructures, such as Storwize V7000 Unified, SONAS, or Tivoli Storage Productivity Center with TPC V5.1 TPC 5.1 Select, or SmartCloud Virtual Storage Center V5.1
- Improves overall IT efficiency and quality of service with automated provisioning, easy monitoring, and reporting
- Provides overall reduction in operational complexity and expenses with a self-service portal, standardization, and automation
- Integrates with Lightweight Directory Access Protocol (LDAP) for authentication and email systems for notifications
IBM System Storage RedBooks
The IBM SmartCloud Storage Access V1.1 Configuration Cookbook, SG24-8120 just published to coincide with the General Availability of the solution.
This IBM Redbooks Publication will help you plan, implement and manage your storage cloud.
IBM SmartCloud™ Storage Access V1.1 enables enterprises to implement a private cloud storage service where users can request and receive storage capacity, share files with other users, and administrators can easily monitor and report usage with just a few clicks.
The IBM SmartCloud Storage Access solution as shown in the figure below is described in detail in this IBM Redbooks Publication.
Early adopters of virtual desktop infrastructures (VDIs) that relied on hard disk drives (HDDs) were disappointed by the lack of performance of the solution:
VDI environments help maximize productivity by helping employees access applications regardless of physical location or connection device. However, the speed of the storage can limit the speed of the entire system. The IBM FlashSystem in a Virtual Desktop Environment Solution Guide explains how IBM FlashSystem products can accelerate common VDI applications, including the IBM SmartCloud Desktop infrastructure.
FlashSystem storage is built for one purpose: making storage faster. When you run your VDI with FlashSystem storage, there are no spinning disks. FlashSystem products have a hardware-only datapath and much lower response time (latency) than solid-state drive (SDD) devices and many other forms of flash storage. You can move your most I/O intensive applications to FlashSystem storage to improve the performance of the entire environment.
Read this guide to learn about VDI concepts, FlashSystem advantages, and common use cases. You can also see a scenario for implementing a VDI with FlashSystem storage, IBM Flex System hardware, and IBM SmartCloud Desktop Services or VMware view remote desktop software.
Megan_Gilge 06000101S8 Tags:  flashsystem pureflex smartcloudentry microlatency entry sanvolumecontroller easytier smartcloud flash 6,686 Views
Complex, aging, and inflexible IT infrastructures create business challenges and raise administration costs. Low utilization, low efficiency, and storage and performance bottlenecks create additional limitations. IBM FlashSystem storage products can be used with IBM PureFlex Systems to create seamless hardware integration across server, storage, and networking. PureFlex Systems also provide centralized management on the compute, storage, and network layers.
Here are 5 things you should know about integrating IBM FlashSystem in IBM PureFlex System environments.
1. PureFlex Systems are a comprehensive infrastructure system that provides an expert integrated computing system.
PureFlex Systems combine servers, enterprise storage, networking, virtualization, and management into a single structure. They help simplify management and flexibly deploy integrated patterns of virtual and hardware resources through unified management. PureFlex Systems support high-performance workloads that require microsecond latencies. FlashSystem storage provides this low latency that cannot be supplied by traditional hard disk and solid state drive architectures.
2. FlashSystem provides extremely fast storage that can be integrated into your existing environment.
FlashSystem storage products combine extreme performance, IBM MicroLatency, macro efficiency, and enterprise reliability to provide up to 24 TB of fast, energy-efficient flash storage in a small, 1U footprint. FlashSystem products:
3. FlashSystem storage in a PureFlex System environment offers storage enhancements.
Combine FlashSystem storage with a PureFlex System to obtain the following benefits:
4. Adding a SAN Volume Controller to FlashSystem storage provides even more enhancements.
A SAN Volume Controller can be attached to a PureFlex System and used to manage FlashSystem storage. Use a SAN Volume Controller to provide advanced functionality, such as Thin Provisioning, IBM Easy Tier®, and IBM FlashCopy®. You can order a SAN Volume Controller separately or bundled with a FlashSystem product.
5. FlashSystem products can be integrated into your existing PureFlex System environment with IBM SmartCloud® Entry and IBM SmartCloud Monitoring.
IBM SmartCloud Entry Version 3.1 is an entry-level private cloud offering that builds on your existing virtualization infrastructure. Users can request and provision an environment quickly through an easy-to-use, web-based interface.
IBM SmartCloud Monitoring optimizes workloads and provides visibility through health dashboards, which increases cloud availability. It intelligently optimizes the usage of current resources and plans for future growth. IBM Tivoli® Storage Manager and SmartCloud Monitoring ensure resiliency and achieve high levels of virtualization density.
Read the IBM FlashSystem in IBM PureFlex System Environments IBM Redbooks Solution Guide, TIPS 1042 to learn more about features, usage scenarios, integration, compatibility, and ordering.