Announced on October 6 ( 2014), the DS8870 Release 7.4 (Licensed Machine Code 7.7.40.xx.xxx) brings enhanced replication options, improved synergy with System z, additional flash optimization, and new capacity options as well as an improved DS GUI.
The planned availability date is December 5, 2014.
New replication options:
- Mutli Target Peer-to-Peer Remote Copy: provides two independent mirror target sites (secondary sites) , so High Availability and Disaster Recovery capabilities are unaffected if one target site fails. Other benefits include : simplified recovery after site failure , storage migration capability without compromising the High Availability of the solution, possible Incremental Resync between the two secondary sites.
- Multiple Incremental FlashCopy : provides for up to 12 incremental FlashCopies for any volume, allowing more efficient and frequent backups for better continuous data protection and disk space saving.
System z Synergy:
- z/OS Global Mirror (XRC) Workload based Write Pacing with HyperPAV is a Software Defined Storage enhancement to control XRC write pacing and can , for instance, prevent low priority work to negatively impact the Recovery Point Objective of business critical applications.
- Easy Tier Application integration with System z thru a new Software Defined Storage API , allowing application to hint Easy Tier about data usage, such that Easy Tier will move the data to the appropriate storage tier.
- zHyperwrite , allowing DB2 to perform dual, parallel log writes with DS8870 Metro Mirror, thus reducing DB2 log latency while HyperSwap remains enabled. This new technology can help reduce up to 43 percent of the DB2 log write time
- Support for an additional 4 High Performance Flash Enclosures (HPFE) in the first Expansion Frame , doubling the HPFE capacity to 96 TB and improving overall system performance by up to 35%.
- 600 GB 15K rpm SAS FDE drive
- 1.6TB 2.5-inch FDE Flash drive (SSD) for up to 2.55PB of Flash capacity!
Improved User Interface
- The improved DS8000 Storage Management GUI simplifies storage management, monitors system health in real time, and enables faster configuration
You will be able to read ample details about those new features and enhancements in updated DS8870 RedBooks publications. Availability and other details will be announced on this blog.