Secure your data with industry-standard data-at-rest encryption with no performance impact.
With the ever-growing landscape of national, state, and local regulations, industry requirements, and increased security threats, ensuring the protection of an organization’s information is a key part of operating a successful business.
Encrypting “data at rest” is a key element when addressing these concerns.
Here are a few key facts about XIV encryption:
- While most storage products offer encryption at an additional cost, the XIV encryption feature is available at no charge.
- An external key server , implemented by the IBM Security Key Lifecycle Manager (SKLM) is required (licensed product).
- Encryption support is available with the XIV System Software Version 11.4 on XIV Gen 3 Model 214 systems, with 1 TB, 2 TB, 3 TB, and 4 TB drive capacities, as long as those drives are self-encrypting drives (SEDs).
- Unique among IBM products, IBM XIV Storage System offers hot encryption. This means that when encryption is enabled on the XIV, all data that resides on the XIV is encrypted within minutes, with no performance impact.
- The IBM XIV solution not only secures data at rest but also offers a simple, cost-effective solution for securely erasing (cryptographic erasure) any disk drive that is being retired or repurposed.
For details about the encryption planning, process and implementation in XIV, refer to the IBM Redpaper, IBM XIV Security with Data-at-Rest Encryption, REDP-5047