Over the past many years (more than I care to admit) that I worked in IBM® System & Technology Group, and now as an ITSO Storage Project Leader, I have witnessed amazing performance improvements:
- CPU speed has increased up to 8-10X
- DRAM speed up to 7-9X
- Network speed up to 100X
- Bus speed up to 20X
Speed has increased in just about every facet. But, I have also found that disk speed has increased only up to 1.2X. Historically it has been the disk tier that is the bottleneck and slows everything else in the IT stack
- Traditional hard disk drives (HDDs) are the most common performance bottlenecks on any system. Why? Simply because unlike DRAM and CPU, hard disk drives have mechanical moving parts. This means that every time you need to open, save, modify a file, or do anything else, the disk needs to spin.
- Unlike FlashSystem™ technology, in many ways solid-state drives (SSDs) are similar to hard disks. SSDs are composed of flash memory that is put inside a carrier and inserted into an array like a hard disk drive, there is added latency caused by controllers, software layers, and shared data paths.
With IBM FlashSystem™ products this paradigm has changed. Using IBM Storwize® family functions, management tools and interoperability, the newest member of the FlashSystem family; IBM FlashSystem V840 Enterprise Performance Solution. combines the performance of FlashSystem architecture with the advanced functions of software-defined storage to deliver:
Extreme performance: FlashSystem V840 with an all-hardware data path using a field programmable-gate array (FPGA) is engineered to deliver lowest possible latency, accelerating all types of applications including the following categories:
- Enterprise Resource Planning / Supply Chain Management (ERP/SCM)
- Big data and analytics
- MicroLatency™: Delivers microsecond-level response time (60µs to 200µs) to accelerate critical applications and achieve competitive advantages.
- Macro efficiency: Driven by consolidation of hardware and software, power and cooling savings, and data efficiencies of snapshots, thin provisioning, and advanced copy services.
- Enterprise reliability: Durable and reliable designs that use enterprise class flash with remote mirroring to provide business continuity.
IBM FlashSystem V840 Enterprise Performance Solution offers a rich set of software defined storage features that include:
- Thin provisioning: Enables dynamic growth; purchase only the storage you need when you need it.
- Easy Tier® flash storage management: Optimized performance at lower overall cost.
- Real-time Compression™: Helps improve efficiency by compressing data by as much as 80%, enabling storage of up to 5x as much data in the same physical space.
- High availability configurations: Enable near-continuous data availability.
- Application-aware copies: Virtually eliminate application downtime for backup with FlashCopy®.
- Practice disaster recovery techniques: Validate business continuity plans.
- Simple GUIs: Allow storage to be quickly deployed and efficiently managed.
Read more about our new IBM FlashSystem V840 Enterprise Performance Solution functions and features in the IBM Redbooks® Product Guide IBM FlashSystem V840 Enterprise Performance Solution.