IBM Spectrum Control release 5.2.8 provides integrated data and storage management that delivers monitoring, automation, and analytics, that can significantly reduce storage costs. Read the newly published Redbooks publication IBM Spectrum Family - Spectrum Control Standard Edition to apply practical examples and insights for your business enterprises by using the latest features of IBM Spectrum Control Standard Edition.
This book also provides an overview of IBM Spectrum Control Advanced Edition, illustrating how IBM Spectrum Control fits into Software-Defined Storage (SDS) environments, and how Spectrum Control integrates into the landscape of the IBM Spectrum Control family of products.
Gain new Insights into your SDS environments
- Want to gain insights on how your storage is consumed?
- Use the latest advanced alert management to monitor your storage utilization and performance?
- Organize capacity data around your applications and business units?
- Apply example scripts to use Native SQL, IBM Cognos Business Intelligence (BI), and Microsoft Excel to generate Showback reports?
- Implement use cases to monitor, manage, and report on your devices, including inter-switch connections and their performance connections, as well as viewing connections for N_Port Virtualization( NPV) mode switches?
- Apply performance and troubleshooting scenarios for IBM Spectrum Scale using the latest IBM Spectrum Control GUI?
Advanced Alert management
You can easily implement many of the practical samples in this book. For example, the new extensive Advanced Alerting Management is now based on over 50 conditions to better monitor your enterprise resources, to troubleshoot any performance issues, and to generate notifications:
- As a storage administrator I would like to track and troubleshoot the performance of my storage systems by implementing Advanced Alerting Conditions.
- I want to understand if my port bandwidth is performing optimally, specifically if it is sending or receiving data that is causing a bottleneck on any ports.
- I want to know if any ports are being under-utilized in order to re-balance workload if necessary.
You can set thresholds for individual performance metrics to track these conditions:
From the Alerts definition screen:
- Set Overall Port Bandwidth Percentage to less than 15%(1) to track if any storage system ports are being underutilized.
- The Overall Port Bandwidth Percentage alert can be defined with Informational severity level since this is not an immediate performance impact. To do so click on the drop down arrow next to the red cross and select the yellow exclamation mark.
- For Port Send Bandwidth Percentage and Port Receive Bandwidth Percentage, define a Warning severity threshold at greater than 75%(2).
Read the IBM Spectrum Family - Spectrum Control Standard Edition, SG24-8321, IBM Redbook publication for how-to guidance and examples to effectively integrate IBM Spectrum Control Standard Edition into your Software-Defined Storage business enterprise environments.