Recently announced for the DS8870 , the high-performance flash enclosure (HPFE) is a RAID storage enclosure that can support up to thirty 400 GB encryption capable flash cards (1.8-inch, 46 mm form factor) in a 1U rack space. It is installed in the DS8870 base frame.
The high-performance flash enclosure comes with various capabilities and performance characteristics, as summarized here:
- The high-performance flash enclosure delivers up to 250,000 IOPS and up to 3.4 GBps bandwidth in just one EIA (1U) of rack space.
- Using high-performance flash enclosures can accelerate database performance by up to four times while still guaranteeing the industry-leading DS8870 availability.
- By using high-performance flash enclosures, batch times shrink by up to 10%, therefore reducing impact on production applications.
- High-performance flash enclosures can carry up to 12 TB of raw capacity per enclosure.
- Flash cards in the high-performance flash enclosure support full drive encryption.
The high-performance flash enclosure is available in the following configurations:
- DS8870 Model 961 Enterprise Class or Business Class configuration:
In the Enterprise or Business Class configuration, you can have up to four HPFEs installed vertically in the base frame. The base frame can still accommodate up to 10 standard drive enclosures, populated with either flash drives (SSDs) or spinning drives.
- DS8870 Model 961 High Performance All Flash configuration
In the High Performance All Flash configuration, up to 8 HPFEs (four horizontally and four vertically) can be installed in the base frame. A High Performance All Flash configuration has four I/O enclosure pairs installed expanding the number of hosts and maximizing the bandwidth with up to 16 four or eight port Fibre Channel/IBM FICON® host adapters, offering maximum performance and connectivity in a single frame footprint.
Refer to the HPFE Redbooks Product Guide for details...