We recently released the new IBM Redbooks draft: Harnessing the Power of ProtecTIER and Tivoli Storage Manager. This book helps you plan, install, tailor, configure, and monitor ProtecTIER products with Tivoli Storage Manager. We provide you step-by-step guidance and tips to harness the performance and the power of the two products working together as a data protection and deduplication solution.
This book also explains the concepts and differences between ProtecTIER and Tivoli Storage Manager deduplication, as well as how to implement data replication from a ProtecTIER and Tivoli Storage Manager perspective.
Tivoli Storage Manager and ProtecTIER products are the highest scaling data protection and deduplication solutions in the industry and they work well together:
- ProtecTIER incorporates special Tivoli Storage Manager parsing for more efficient deduplication of Tivoli Storage Manager data.
- Tivoli Storage Manager capacity pricing now gives credit for ProtecTIER deduplication, via the Tivoli Storage Manager Suite for Unified Recovery ProtecTIER option.
- As of Tivoli Storage Manager 6.3, an option has been included, Virtual Tape Library (VTL) awareness that significantly increases mount performance and number of virtual drives.
- You can use both Tivoli Storage Manager and ProtecTIER deduplication in the same backup environment, but typically not with the same data.
Figure 1 shows the various aspects of data reduction using both ProtecTIER and Tivoli Storage Manager technologies.
Setup and configuration involves three main components:
- The Tivoli Storage Manager server and its operating system
- The ProtecTIER device, as a storage component
- The infrastructure that connects the Tivoli Storage Manager to the ProtecTIER; Network (LAN), or Storage Area Network (SAN). The ProtecTIER File System Interface (FSI) uses LAN, the ProtecTIER VTL uses SAN.
The most complex environments may have several instances of Tivoli Storage Manager servers each managing several library client and storage agents. This environment has both ProtecTIER VTL devices and ProtecTIER FSI shares, each being fully replicated in a many-to-many relationship between multiple cities or locations.
The simplest configuration can consist of only a Tivoli Storage Manager server, direct attached via a Fibre Channel cable to an IBM TS7620 ProtecTIER Deduplication Appliance Express (TS7620). The TS7620 is a self-contained virtualization solution that includes an embedded pre-configured disk storage repository and fast, reliable, and easy to deploy backup and recovery for mid-sized environments.
Figure 2 shows a fairly simple configuration with a few Tivoli Storage Manager backup servers and two node IBM System Storage TS7650G ProtecTIER Deduplication Gateway (TS7650G) VTL cluster, attached via SAN fabric. The ProtecTIER VTL is built in the the disk storage systems that are attached as back-end storage. Tivoli Storage Manager uses ProtecTIER devices to store and manage data from backup clients.
The public draft is available at: http://www.redbooks.ibm.com/redpieces/abstracts/sg248209.html?Open