Smarter - Watz That ?
As the everyone speaks on Smarter World , pioneered by IBM's Smarter Planet Strategy .. some would ask - Watz That !
If I am given the freedom to speculate but still be true to an extend - its getting science fiction movies into reality. Well.. well.. its a long way to go, but a step in the right direction. I would define it by saying - Its intense netting of sensors to acquire all sort of information and then mining information with existing data , instrumenting it and eventually making the system more efficient, optimized and eventually more Smarter.
Was this not done before ? .. Is it not already there ?
Well , yes .. But the difference is that it will be more prominent from now on , as there will be cash allocation for such projects. Till yesterday , these were good to have and but today with so much of complex & hybrid elements in all domains (Power, technology, infrastructure, healthcare, etc) it has become the need of the hour. And yeah - the Federal is supporting it even more than ever.
So what skills and move should be made to tap on his opportunity:
- Well, if I were the Dean/principal of an engineering college I would include subjects pertaining to Smarter technologies into most of the streams. I would sponsor PhD programs on these topics and definitely hold a World Conference.
- If I was a technology company I would recruit a mix of engineers from all discipline to make sure that the company can work over making different domains smarter, where each domain could require a unique engineering expertise.
- If I was a Start-up , I would tap on the Smart Waves by making smarter based products.
- If I was an inventor - I would start thinking over Smarter ideas and tap them - and - oh yeah - I am on it :-)
- If I was a student, I would keep a close eye on all the news surrounding this. Wait for IEEE publication over it. IF the college is not offering a course I would build my own skills over it via papers, conference, articles etc.
- If I was a customer, I would look for what vendors are offering that could make their tasks smarter and efficient
- If I was a fiction movie director, I would get sleepless nights as the reality has started approaching what is being portrayed as fiction. Hence would start thinking beyond current fiction and make a movies beyond todays fiction - 'Smart Aliens Vs Smarter Humans'
Finally, hats off to Sam - for his vision for making this world a smart place to live in.
Also , if my blog sucked, here is one good link from Wall Street journal over the same topic. Its a good read.
PS: Blog content reflects my personal views.