Web 2.0 has clearly re-defined the web and given different dimensions to on-line social engineering. It has resulted in many successful forums like Blogs, Wiki and social websites. Its undoubted fact that email is one of the most used technology , both for personal as well as professional use. But the problem is that the email clients have not been enabled to foster Web 2.0 based technologies to the level I would desire . I need smarter enablement of emails with Web 2.0 technology to facilitate greater integration with Web 2.0 Apps.
Well I appreciate Google having a relook at the technology and come up with Waves ... I like the approach.. see old things with new ways and updated technology. And some of the scribbling below are covered by Waves, Firfox etc.
But why do I not see them ubiquitously ? I don’t believe there is any pending patent on it to not to go for it... Let me scribble my thoughts for many others to help encourage them to provide the Web 2.0 integration:
Pragmatic Hypothesis: In the larger perspective many of the email content contains enriched knowledgeable content and is applicable to a lot of other context , which intern can benefit the related on-line community.
- - Many a times there will be a user emails which defines/describe a particular technology or the use of it. Most of the times this information will useful to the related communities. : This is eligible for creation of a new entry or updation of a existing entry in a Wiki , a web 2.0 Apps.
- - Many a times a personal/professional email thread/chain talks about useful topics, which will benefit even others. Such email chains are eligible for Web logs/ Blogs , another Web 2.0 Apps.
- - Many a times you want to send a "Hi/Hello" or "Reminder of a Date" like email to a friend. Such a email content will be eligible to be also scribbled on the users scratch book available on the social website , another Web 2.0 Apps.
- - Many a times , MoM are circulated via emails ( and probably - if one remembers - manually uploaded on the related wiki or other collaboration tool). Such email contents can be enabled to seamlessly integrate with the wiki.
Core concept is to enable the email clients with smarter technology that will integrate them with the user registered Web 2.0 Applications, thus making the Client platform more cooler towards community contributions , collaboration and social engineering.
Typicaly, the email client will have a facility ,
- 1. Where the user can register his/her Web 2.0 applications ( available on internet/intranet) like Wikipedia , linkdn or/and beehive social websites, developerWorks blog etc with the email client.
- 2. Where the user will be able to select a email(s), email chain , email thread and select the Web2.0 enablement action to execute ( as shown in the below figure)
- - Publish email content to the registered Wiki ( where users can granularly select the email content)
- - Publish the email thread discussion to a registered web log/blog
- - Scribble the email content as a scratch on the scratch pad/book of a desired user on the registered social website
- 3. Have a facility for the user, while sending a email , to direct the selective email content to the recipients scratch book on the registered social website
- 4. Enable the Web2.0 applications (wiki/blogs/social websites etc) to receive these inputs and likewise formulate the actions.
Example: The sender can select portion of the email content and choose direct it to a registered Web2.0 application and take likewise action. Like automatically bod the selected content under the users name on the registered blog side ( which will be enabled with single sign on along with the Notes client) or update a registered wiki with the definition or send an alert of the email in the recipient scratch book on a given social website.
These were my 2 cents which I believe will foster richer email experience. Thx to those who have implemented similar - while encourage others who have not :-)