My Daily Challenges
ramakrishnan.kannan 270000WMVD 286 Visitas
Here is the way to do it.
ramakrishnan.kannan 270000WMVD Identificações:  ubuntu experience webapp office firefox first linux 1.420 Visitas
Today I registered for the office web app with a live id. I created a doc, ppt and spreadsheet. Everything worked perfect. I am able to save and retried the document back as well.
More yet to come after detailed survey. Survey will definitely take more than a month.
ramakrishnan.kannan 270000WMVD Identificações:  agpcpq.sys virtualbox ubuntu wireless vmdk hangs networking windowsxp 2.016 Visitas
Ufff!!!!!! A major and a right change.
I migrated from redhat 5.5 64-bit to ubuntu 9.0.4 (lucid) 32bit. I have been trying to check whether I really need windows xp or not. For the past one month, I never required to boot up my windows xp machine. I am very much comfortable with ubuntu running required ibm softwares (sametime/lotus notes etc).
It took only 4 hrs to change to ubuntu from redhat and moving the data from my redhat to ubuntu. Everything changed over a weekend.
The challenges with Redhat 5.5 64bit are the following.
1. Less matured software stack. You dont find many software working. For every software to work I had to toil for around a week. This affected my productivity very very deeply. It is definitely NOT out of the box.
2. Relatively slow compared against ubuntu. Windows XP is much slower against redhat linux.
3. Relatively less information in internet over ubuntu. Of course google is our window to internet. Through google I could not find much information for redhat 64-bit.
Cons of ubuntu 32-bit against redhat 64-bit. I am able to attribute it to 32-bit vs 64-bit more than ubuntu vs redhat.
1. Java programs are running relatively slower.
2. It is not able to take better memory. Previously in redhat 64-bit, I was able to run with 4G memory using -Xmx option. However in ubuntu, the maximum that I could use is only 2.5G.
These prompted me to move to ubuntu. My current configuration with ubuntu.
1. W500 machine dual core
2. ubuntu 10.0.4(lucid) 32-bit. Didnt try with 64 bit as ubuntu recommends to go for 32bit over 64bit. I religiously followed their recommendation with out any hesitation.
3. Virtual box for windows xp and slax linux for browsing
4. Pidgin for sametime, gtalk
5. skype for video chat. Pidgin for video chat with gtalk users.
6. firefox as browser
7. Lotus notes for mailing
8. Notes symphony/open office for office tools
9. IBM's software layer for ubuntu.
10. Development - eclipse/kdesvn. Eclipse svn is not working.
In ubuntu it really required me to add very limited softwares and adding software was also very easy through apt-get and synaptic package manager.
The major challenge was making windows xp working on the virtual box. It kept hanging at agpcpq.sys. I used the .vmdk file that I created using vmware. Virtualbox seamless understood the .vmdk format. After surveying for sometime, I found that I have to enable the IO APIC option in the advanced settings of the virtual machine. Making the xp inside virtualbox to connect to network over my wireless was another challenges. Survey almost for 2 hrs. Bridged networking over wireless is still a problem. Enabled the ip_forward to" yes" and used NAT. This made the XP inside virtualbox start connecting to internet over my ubuntu wireless.
Things that are not working.
1. SVN on eclipse.
2. Pidgin hangs when someone else is calls me for a video chat. However it works when I call. Looks like a bug!!
3. vmware on ubuntu is still tough. It fails at many places. Ofcourse you have virtual box as alternative.
Overall I feel the gap between windows as OS and Linux as OS is reducing. Still there are some gaps but it will eliminated over a period of time. Few friends of mine are motivated to try out ubuntu over windows xp.
If you have any doubts in the above setting please dont hesistate ot reach me!!
Sometimes when you import a project from cvs in eclipse, the project type doesnt match. For eg., if you import a dynamic web project from cvs, eclipse will display as java project. The following steps helps you to migrate the project type from one type to another. Let us define source type as the existing project (called as your project) current type. Let target type be the type of the project that you want.
1. Create the test project with the target type.
2. Compare the .project file in the test (target type) and your project(source type). Specifically compare the <natures> tag and ensure it matches.
3. Go the properties of your project, to the project facets.
4. Choose appropriate facets that will help you change the source type to the target type.
This will help migration of the project from the source type to the target type.
ramakrishnan.kannan 270000WMVD Identificações:  box malware website safe malicious vmware browsing virus slax virtual 1 Comentário 1.547 Visitas
This is my first blog entry. I wanted to document the challenges and the solutions that I figure out for the challenge.
I wanted to have a small foot print of linux on my laptop for safe browsing. I observed that browsing is one of the major reason for getting virus and malwares. When we browse, we never pay attention to the websites that we visit and we simply browse. Hence to overcome this challenge, I decided to run a linux inside a vm so that I will safe guard my laptop from virus.
The objective of the linux, is simply to browse. Hence the browser should support flash and java.
I surveyed for virtual machine servers/managers and the linux (http://blog.taragana.com/index.php/archive/10-best-minimal-low-footprint-linux-distros/ + http://www.junauza.com/2009/07/5-fast-and-lightweight-linux-distros.html) of very small footprint. At the end of my survey, I decided to try out the following combination.
1. Vmware + slax
2. Virtualbox + slax
Virtualbox + slax : I followed the instruction given in http://forums.virtualbox.org/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=14700&start=0. Virtual box crashed several time during installation. After trying for 3-4 times, it installed finally. However, I had many challenges during working in terms performance and frequent crashing.
Vmware+slax : It installed fine and I have been working on this combination over a week. It is working fine.
Couple of best practices.
1. Install slax module in the regular start menu->slax module manager will not. Always issue lzm2dir fullpathtolzmfile
2. Since, slax is a in memory OS, the modules you installed goes away every time you shutdown and restart the vm. Hence to retain the installation copy the .lzm files to /slax/modules directory. It will get retained permanently.