Finally PHP 5.1 Beta 2 is live. I'm very excited about PHP 5.1 which is another big step for PHP.
Some of the key improvements of PHP 5.1 include:
* PDO (PHP Data Objects) - A new native database abstraction layer providing performance, ease-of-use, and flexibility.
* Significantly improved language performance mainly due to the new Zend Engine II execution architecture.
* The PCRE extension has been updated to PCRE 5.0.
* Many more improvements including lots of new functionality & many bug fixes, especially in regards to SOAP, streams and SPL.
* See the bundled NEWS file for a more complete list of changes.
Everyone is encouraged to start playing with this beta, although it is not yet recommended for mission-critical production use.[Read More]