The marketplace for business intelligence services has changed significantly. To give businesses a way to create a solid "short list" of vendors for BI projects, Forrester Research, Inc. evaluated 12 top-tier BI services vendors using 53 criteria.
In the recently published Forrester WaveTM
: Business Intelligence Services Providers, Q4 2012, Forrester placed IBM in the Leaders segment of the Wave both for strategy and for technology expertise.
As you can see from the graphics below, IBM is nearly off the chart!
Click on the link to read the entire report
"IBM has one of the largest BI practices globally, with capabilities in a broad range of industries, technologies, and geographies. IBM has skills in core BI areas...and has pioneered some of the most innovative research offerings in the market today, such as the famous Watson, a cognitive computing system now being used in fields like healthcare and financial services and extends traditional technologies like big data, analytics, and cloud."
— Forrester Wave report
Operational safety is a multi-faceted risk management challenge that has a direct impact on a company’s health and performance. By utilizing advanced information management techniques across multiple data sources within the enterprise, organizations are able to establish the conditions and processes that optimize the safety of their workers and the surrounding communities in which they operate. Those companies that effectively implement and manage operational safety in this manner enjoy advanced practice results that can lead to greater market differentiation, an improved company brand image and increased operating margins.
Whether driven by regulatory, operational or a company’s financial goals, operational safety is a complex and challenging process for any organization. When you use the United States Occupational Safety and Health Administration regulations (OSHA 29 CFR 1910.1.119) as a reference guideline for process safety management (PSM), it becomes easier to understand how challenging it is for any industrial company to develop, implement, track and manage the individual elements of the PSM regulations, much less all of the elements together. By applying advanced information management techniques such as predictive analytics, companies can manage process safety as an integrated and holistic continuum rather than as a series of individual programs allowing them to more accurately prevent the occurrence of undesirable events due to unforeseen or abnormal conditions while predicting future trends and outcomes. This approach results in a more robust risk management process for the company as a whole.
Trilog Group renewed its commitment to the Natural Resources Framework this month by re-validating its ProjExec software.
ProjExec for IBM Social Business is robust project management that delivers all the advanced project management functions today’s teams need in a highly secure environment. Configurable role-based workflow and security enable professional project management tools that support the most rigorous methodologies. Professional project scheduling and tracking tools like the visual Gantt editor, the new Resource editor and budget and financial modules insure that ProjExec is complete and robust project management. With ProjExec, project schedules are transformed into integrated project activities shared with the entire project team.ProjExec socializes the project experience to deliver a solid alternative for IBM PS Industry Framework customers who need to execute collaborative projects quickly, easily and affordably while leveraging investments in IBM social and collaborative software including, Quickr, Connections, Portal, Sametime, and Notes/Domino.
ProjExec tightly integrates with IBM Lotus Quickr and IBM Connections platforms to deliver unparalleled collaboration efficiencies across organizational boundaries. The solution integrates and supports the IBM Collaborative Product Development solution. ProjExec makes the collaborative product development experience significantly more intuitive and engaging through its unique Project Wall, which delivers a Facebook-style activity stream and micro-blogging capability for the product development community to instantly share and discuss product ideas, requirements, designs, issues, progress and deliverables. Integrated robust web-based project management tools enable collaborative scheduling, execution and tracking of the project portfolio associated with the product development life cycle enabling complete management of Issues, Changes, Resources, Financials, Time and Reports. ProjExec's open architecture also enables interoperability with existing PM and PLM tools ensuring leverage of existing investments while complementing these tools with a much leaner collaboration environment that reduces waste and significantly improves time, cost and product quality.
Trilog is one of the first and only IBM Business Partner to offer an application for IBM Social Software technologies that provides true robust project management fully integrated with social awareness and collaboration. While other Social Project Management vendors promote their own proprietary collaboration spaces, Trilog integrates Social Project Management directly into customers’ existing enterprise collaboration space. Trilog’s ProjExec enables IBM Lotus customers to empower project teams, streamline project schedules and support the global coordination of projects both large and small. For information visit: www.triloggroup.com
Offshore World Summit 2012
Hyatt Regency / Houston, TX
About Offshore World Summit
The Offshore World Summit 2012 attracts senior executives focused on the winning strategies and developing innovative solutions to transform resource potential into producing plays. Case studies and real world results will address key themes including: • Lease sale activity and exploration results in emerging and existing basins • Regulatory changes and company best practices to ensure safety for employees, operations and the environment • Cost effective techniques and technologies enhancing production • Scheduling and software solutions to improve project delivery • Advances in imaging, sensing and monitoring technologies for subsea operations. In addition the program will focus on managing the costs of offshore projects, HSE, integrated field development and improved oil recovery methods. This cutting edge market intelligence delivered by leading industry experts will inform your future investment and strategic practices and improve overall project success.
IBM will be holding a 35 min session on October 16th at 1:50PM, Application of Smarter Analytics to Oil & Gas
Private meeting space
Show dates & hours:
October 16-17, 2012
Tue, Oct 16th: 9 AM - 6 PM
Wed, Oct 17th: 9 AM - 4 PM
Location: Hyatt Regency - Houston, TX
IBM Meeting Room: "Cottonwood" - located on the same floor as exhibit space.
ISS Group and IBM have teamed to provide a new solution for optimizing production operations. The new offering combines the capabilities of the
ISS BabelFish suite with IBM's Integrated Information Core and Maximo software to provide real-time visibility into manufacturing operations and
An organization focused on production operations has to be able to support technology in the business domain, as well as that of the operation itself.
BabelFish is a foundation technology employed by many operational organizations to satisfy their integrated operations strategies.
The foundation components (BabelFish Server & BabelFish Explorer) provide for real-time data integration and web based visualization,
and are augmented with a library of plug-in modules providing technical capabilities required to meet a customers specific solution requirements.
These modules include, event detection and processing, field data capture and validation, real-time calculation and aggregations, production data
management, well testing, and hydrocarbon accounting.
Managing complex operations, with large data requirements in an environment of rigorous regulatory compliance, is the challenge of almost all industries
today. Combine this with multiple industry standards, and the integration and collaboration of many disciplines and sites, and the business landscape
becomes disperse and chaotic. Using the BabelFish Server, data from field equipment, process control systems and management systems can be collated in
real-time, and on ad‐hoc or discrete time periods such as per shift, per production day etc. BabelFish Server is a reliable and easy way to connect,
manage and analyse production and operational data.
ISS Group Limited delivers high quality software solutions that assist industry leaders to visualise their operations in real-time, and optimise
their operational performance.
The Natural Resources Framework (NRF) has been refreshed and was
announced at the 2012 Natural Resources Symposium. The Natural Resources Framework defines use cases and
specific to process manufacturing industries including chemicals, petroleum, metals and mining. The key themes for the
refresh are the addition of solutions for the metals and mining industries, the addition of new projects to the framework that include
new software capabilities based on partner solutions as well as additions
to the IBM portfolio, and enhancement of existing framework projects with extended capabilities designed to drive greater alignment with IBM's
In December 2008, IBM
launched the Integrated Information Framework (IIF), a
precursor to the Natural Resources Framework. IIF provided IT solutions to address the challenges faced in the Chemical and Petroleum industries. With this announcement the framework expands to include IT solutions to Metals and Mining industries. The
announcement at this week's Natural Resources Symposium reflects the continuing evolution of
More information is available at the following link: https://www-304.ibm.com/partnerworld/wps/servlet/ContentHandler/isv_com_ind_frameworks_naturalresources
There is a new predictive maintenance TV spot, video and blog! Predictive maintenance is a subset of advanced condition monitoring.
Here are the links:
1. TV Spot: http://bit.ly/PNm4cu
2. Blog: http://ibm.co/TM8kzf
3. Video http://bit.ly/SyGSab
4. New page! http://www.ibm.com/analytics/us/en/predictive-analytics/index.html?psrc=ca
In today's world of interconnected industries, businesses and consumers, a new kind of leadership is required to turn opportunity into business outcomes. At InterConnect 2012, October 9-11 in Singapore, your clients will hear from smarter businesses who are thriving - and achieving their organization's strategic goals by aligning business and IT.
At InterConnect, business and IT leaders will explain how they are responding to today's critical business imperatives, and share with our clients how they can:
A topic for every attendee
- Re-invent relationships and uncover new markets
- Manage the velocity of business change
- Implement the new economics of IT to fund new innovations
- access the Session Preview Tool
to learn more about these sessions
- Changing the Economics of IT with IBM PureSystems Integrated by design, “built for cloud” and simple to use and manage, IBM PureSystems can help organizations react quickly to change and succeed in today's business environment.
- Defending Against Cyber-Threats with Security Intelligence & Behavioral Analytics How do organizations balance the need for increased business innovation, agility and information sharing with the need to safeguard their most valuable assets – their intellectual property, customer data and brand?
- Rethink IT. Reinvent Business with Cloud Computing IBM SmartCloud solutions can help organizations create sustainable advantage, reach new customers and design and deploy new business models, all while managing an unprecedented rate of change.
- Transforming Critical Business Processes Smarter processes and improved asset management are helping organizations improve the effectiveness of operations – increasing their ability to address ever evolving customer, citizen, employee, and partner needs.
- Unlocking Opportunities with Big Data Analytics With an ever increasing supply of data coming from an ever expanding number of sources, the sheer volume is growing faster than organizations can turn it into useful insights. Explore how big data analytics can translate into game-changing results.
- Gaining Competitive Advantage through Software Innovation Top-performing organizations are delivering business innovation with reduced cost and improved speed and predictability by leveraging a smarter approach to software delivery.
- Creating Exceptional Experiences by Combining Social & Commerce Best Practices Social business and an end-to-end approach to commerce can change the way organizations interact with customers, building customer loyalty and their brand.
- Speeding Innovation & Extending Reach with Mobile Enterprise Successful companies are computing in motion, creating mobile enterprises that are delivering new value by fundamentally changing how customers, suppliers and employees interact.
- Transforming IT for Insight & Efficiency with Smarter Storage Big data is redefining business as organizations develop the strategies and skills necessary to put it to work. But how do you figure out what data is important and put it in the hands of those who can apply it in meaningful ways?
- Enabling Business Growth with Enterprise Systems Critical information systems' capabilities can help promote business growth by enabling the highest qualities of service for security of data, infrastructure efficiency, and information delivery across the enterprise – while reducing IT resource requirements.
The Global CEO Study 2012 is the fifth biennial CEO study, building on our insights and findings over the last 8 years; the Chemicals and Petroleum (C&P) Analysis is a subset of the Global Study. In this largest known sample, we spoke with over 1700 CEOs – battle-tested leaders with an average tenure of 6 years. The study represents organizations in 64 countries across 18 industries
For the first time, CEOs globally identified technology as the most important external force impacting their organizations – however, for the heavily technology based Chemicals & Petroleum industry, CEOs view environmental, market and people skills above technology issues impacting their business
Key findings in the study include:
- Within today’s volatile and uncertain environment, four major trends are apparent -- Globalization, Demographic shifts, social networks and mobility, data explosion
- Outperforming organizations are especially focused on combining technology with the business to drive innovation and growth
- CEOs are planning dramatic improvements in internal and external collaboration, requiring organizational change
- Organizations need employees who are equipped to adapt – those who are collaborative, communicative, creative and flexible
- Outperformers strongly differentiate by better data access, insight, and translation into actions
- Chemicals & Petroleum CEOs want to respond to customers (stakeholders) better, respond faster to market changes including social and environmental response
- Mobility is elevating customer expectations: organizations have a tremendous opportunity to create value out of immediacy – to be ready with relevant services and information in the context of the moment
The complete presentation of the study findings is available at:
Integration Specialists Company, Inc. (SISCO) and IBM have reconfirmed their partnership in process manufacturing by re-validating the interoperability of currently
supported releases Sisco's Utility Integration Bus software with IBM's Integrated Information Core offering.
Validation is a pre-sales activity which tests the ability of the
software to exchange and use information. Validation testing increases client
level of confidence in selecting and implementing the combined Sisco/IBM solution.
Sisco is a privately held
company founded in 1983 that is dedicated
to applying standards to address
real-world problems in the electric utility, manufacturing, and
automation industries. The Utility Integration Bus has been a framework component since the initial launch of the Integrated Information Framework in 2008.
SISCO’s Utility Integration Bus (UIB) provides a model-driven integration environment for C&P and E&U applications using IBM WebSphere ESB and the IBM Integrated Information Framework (IIF) for C&P. The UIB supports the use of the standardized data models like CIM (IEC 61970/61968) for power system data, ISA S.95 for production control data, and ISO 16926 for oil/gas production data with standardized interface services based on IEC, OMG, and OPC standards to provide a platform that eases the integration between disparate real-time systems and business systems using off-the-shelf WebSphere adapters.
SISCO’s UIB provides a set of tools for distributing a data exchange model and enabling real-time and historical data access to data in legacy systems based on that data exchange model. The model-driven approach of the UIB manages the complexity of disparate real-time systems by simplifying the mapping of legacy data to the exchange model coupled with model aware interface services that interoperate with hundreds of existing industry applications using OPC.
The UIB and IIF offers off-the-shelf integration for real-time automation and control systems. The result is a dramatic increase in the level of integration between operations and business at a much lower cost. The UIB with WebSphere and IIF uniquely addresses the inherent complexity of real-time systems by providing semantic meaning to real-time data in the context of the business applications using a common data exchange model based on international standards.