The DB2’s Got Talent contest is back!
The 2012 edition, as with the first one, is offering DB2 LUW and z/OS DBAs the opportunity to speak and show the world their hottest tips using DB2.
As most of you already know, I was the winner of the first edition, and the prize was the same as on this year – registration and travel allowance to the IDUG conference of my choice. I went to Prague in the Czech Republic to attend the IDUG EMEA conference. I had the opportunity to learn more about the hottest topics in DB2, meet very interesting people, clear some doubts I had, and visit such a nice place like Prague. I also took the opportunity to bring my wife. It was her first time in Europe. We had a lot of fun there! More about my conference experience being there can be found here (there’s a link to download the video).
And the prize is not the only benefit of winning the contest. As the winner gets much time in the spotlight, it’s a great opportunity for career improvement and visibility in the DB2 community (blogs, twitter, …). I tried to benefit from that all, and have already started to see some of the returns.
Unfortunately we know that only one will win. So what about the other contestants?
Prizes: There are prizes for the 2nd and 3rd places (when the contest ends), as well as gift cards for the 1st to 10th places, as the contest goes.
Improve your CV: Add your contest experience to your resume and raise the confidence of those who are analyzing it.
Promote your blog (and twitter): If you have a blog where you post DB2 tips, mention it at the end of your presentations.
Some tips for the contestants
- There is a blog post where Willie Favero shows hot tips on webinar presentations. A must read for contestants in my opinion: “Have you presented via a Webinar lately?”
- As advised by Scott Hayes on the application form, your presentations will be watched also in mobile devices. So I’d advise you to try it in a reduced size before presenting, to ensure your presentation is readable in that format.
- You’ll be presenting in a webinar – so, as you know, you’ll not be in front of your slides. Try to grab the audience’s attention by using nice visual resources, pointers, and so on.
- Watch the past presentations – you can use the ones you like as inspiration for your slides. Susan Visser has put together all the DB2’s Got Talent replays. Find the links to all them and much more here.
- If you like it, use a bit of humor in your slides (but don’t overdo it, not all judges like that).
- The judges are all nice people, you don’t need to be afraid. Just try always to make a good impression.
- Don’t be shy. It never helps. This is your opportunity to fight against it.
Other blogs I have seen with mentions to the contest
Stop waiting! Register as a contestant and show us your tips and lessons learned! I’m looking forward to watch :)
If you like my posts, consider following my blog. Thank you!