14 Good design tips in Datastage
Atul.Singh 270002HUVT Visits (6205)
1) When you need to run the same sequence of jobs again and again, better create a sequencer with all the jobs that you need to run. Running this sequencer will run all the jobs. You can provide the sequence as per your requirement.
2) If you are using a copy or a filter stage either immediately after or immediately before a transformer stage, you are reducing the efficiency by using more stages because a transformer does the job of both copy stage as well as a filter stage
3) Use Sort stages instead of Remove duplicate stages. Sort stage has got more grouping options and sort indicator options.
4) Turn off Runtime Column propagation wherever it’s not required.
5) Make use of Modify, Filter, and Aggregation, Col. Generator etc stages instead of Transformer stage only if the anticipated volumes are high and performance becomes a problem. Otherwise use Transformer. It is very easy to code a transformer than a modify stage.
6)Avoid propagation of unnecessary metadata between the stages. Use Modify stage and drop the metadata. Modify stage will drop the metadata only when explicitly specified using DROP clause.
7)Add reject files wherever you need reprocessing of rejected records or you think considerable data loss may happen. Try to keep reject file at least at Sequential file stages and writing to Database stages.