Authorized users can always log in, it will always consume a license.
Floating users only consume a license when they are logged in, but may not be able to log in if all the floating licenses are in use.
If you create more users than licenses, the new users cannot log in until you purchase additional licenses or use the root user account to remove licenses from some users (or delete some users from the system). A user can only be logged in once. If you are logged in on one machine, and you log in from another machine under the same name, the original session is invalidated. To fire up the application/services we need the ‘Server’ licenses.
No license required: The root user does not consume a user license. No matter how many users are logged in, you can always log in as the root user. (When someone logs in as root, another user already logged in as root is logged off.)
Now before configuring the license server for Build Forge, one must review the following requirements.
All of the Management Console host computers in your environment must be able to connect to the Rational license server host computer.
The UNIX/Linux or Windows Rational license server must be set up to start automatically and run as a service.
To install and configure the product to use the license server, the license administrator must provide you the host name and port number of the Rational license server.
The Rational Build Forge 7.1 product distribution includes Rational License Server 7.0. The FLEXlm client software that is required to communicate with the license server is installed and configured as part of the Management Console installation.
During installation, you provide the host name and TCP/IP port of the Rational license server. Obtain this information from your license administrator.
To configure a server-based license:
1. In the Installation Manager installer, on the License Server Configuration page, select License Server.
2. (UNIX and Linux) At Which user should Build Forge run as, accept the default user (root) or specify a different user. If you do specify a different user, you must still start Build Forge as root, but Build Forge starts the engine and Apache Tomcat as the user specified during this installation step. The user must have read and execute permissions for the database libraries and the JDBC jar files specified in the Database Configuration page in Installation Manager.
3. At License Server, provide a valid host name for the Rational license server.
If you provide a host name, this information is automatically added to Build Forge system settings.
If you do not know the host name, enter any character or value in this field and update Build Forge system settings in the UI after installation is complete.
Important: Do not leave this field blank. Leaving this field blank might result in an incomplete installation and an unusable product.
4. At Port, provide the TCP/IP port for the license server. The default port is 27000.
5. Click Next to continue with the installation.
NOTE : Managing licenses through IBM Installation Manager is not supported.
Now what if you want to merge two licenses ( Authorized User and Floating User licenses ) as shown in the screen capture below:
No, you cannot have mixed user license types for Rational Build Forge. Either the license file should contain only Authorized User licenses or Floating User licenses.
In case you have purchased a mix types of licenses for IBM Rational Build Forge, you will need to contact your IBM Sales Representative and change them either to Authorized Users or Floating Users licenses.
Some Common license error messages with Build Forge:
LicMgr: 5140: A database license is required:
If the above message appears in your console output (which can be viewed when you run the console in the foreground, or if you view the console log on Linux or UNIX® systems), you have tried to use an advanced database feature without the benefit of an Enterprise license. For example, you may be trying to use the system with a non-DB2 database. You may need to upgrade the license,
License key is invalid or Build Forge license key is corrupt or missing:
If the above message appears, license key is either expired or invalid for the product version you have installed. Enter a new license key.
Changing the license server for the Management Console:
To change the Rational license server for the Management Console, make the following modifications to the product license server configuration. You must perform this procedure if:
You entered an incorrect host name or other value during installation.
The license server host name was greyed out during installation, indicating that the FLEXlm client already registered a license server for the host.
For your operating system, change the value of the RATIONAL_LICENSE_FILE variable.
Windows : RATIONAL_LICENSE_FILE is in the registry at HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\FLEXlm License Manager
UNIX/Linux : RATIONAL_LICENSE_FILE is set in the .flexlmrc file, located in the home directory of the user who is running Build Forge
Set this variable to the correct host name of the license server:
port@hostname | @hostname
If the license server port is 27000 (the default), then a port is not required.
In the Management Console UI, select Administration → System.
Locate the License Server setting and set its value to the host name of the new Rational license server.
Use one of the following formats.
<host_name>:<port> | <host_name> | <port>:<host_name>
If the license server port is 27000 (the default), then a port is not required. Click refresh on your Web browser to verify that the Management Console can connect to the new license server.
The following keys are available with Rational Build Forge:
- IBM Rational Build Forge EE Adaptor Toolkit
- IBM Rational Build Forge Enterprise Edition Authorized User License Key
- IBM Rational Build Forge Enterprise Edition Floating User License Key
- IBM Rational Build Forge Enterprise Edition Svr
- IBM Rational Build Forge Quick Report Enterprise Edition Svr
- IBM Rational Build Forge Quick Report Standard Edition Svr License Key
- IBM Rational Build Forge Standard Edition Adaptor Toolkit
- IBM Rational Build Forge Standard Edition Authorized User License Key
- IBM Rational Build Forge Standard Edition Floating User License Key
- IBM Rational Build Forge Standard Edition Svr
IBM Rational Build Forge product is present in following editions :
· IBM Rational Build Forge Standard Edition. License mechanism : License server
· IBM Rational Build Forge Enterprise Edition. License mechanism : License server
· IBM Rational Build Forge Enterprise Plus Edition. License mechanism : License file
In order to use Build Forge, these components must be installed:
· Database: Build Forge uses the database to store all of the objects that it uses.
· Build Forge: a set of technologies that govern access to the database, run UI code, and perform the work of running jobs.
· Agents: you install agent software on each host that will perform work.
· Web Browser: users typically access Build Forge through a console presented in a web browser.
About Build Forge: http://publib.boulder.ibm.com/infocenter/bldforge/v7r1m2/index.jsp