Credit Union is an IBM Software Accelerated Value Program (AVP) client and has AVP coverage for multiple brands and products - Rational, ECM, WebSphere, and ESS AVP teams work together and share expertise to help ensure Credit Union has seamless integration between products and tools, and that the client is gaining optimal value from their software investment.
Rational AVP Assisted Focus Areas and Achievements
- Deploying of WebSphere products (WPS, BPM, WS) - starting with WAS 8.5.5+ using Build Forge (BF) and Rational Automation Framework (RAF)
- Expanding BF/RAF platform so that other Credit Union teams can also manage their systems
- Enhancing current procedures used to deploy applications to Credit Union infrastructure
- Allowing Credit Union operations team to do more Tier 1 tasks for Middleware
- Extending operational procedures to start / stop services, and improving triage of outages by COS team (such as validation of jobs that can be sent to each tier to identify which component is having issues)
- Separating CCRM (Build and deployments) activity from COS and Middleware (Production Ops control), specifically taking application deployment tasks away from operational tasks. In production where the common Build Forge will run, instances of RAF would be for CCRM with another instance for the WebSphere, Middleware and COS teams - so that roles and responsibilities for each RAF instance will be isolated.
Rational Build Forge / RAF – Credit Union Automatic Deployment Services
Setup and Installation of new BF/RAF 3.0.x Environments
- Stage 1 – UNIT Setup
- Stage 2 – Test and Integration
- Create 2nd test instance of RAF used by different team's CCRM, Middleware and COS and their shared roles.
- Proof of Technology – Concept of automating deployment of WAS 8.5.5 and fixpack 1 to a target environment
- Prepared an AIX environment to test Credit Union's requirements
- IBM tested in house and recorded process for reuse
- Demo / Review to Credit Union team successful results
- Assist next steps for Credit Union to apply in the UNIT environment
How is Credit Union using Rational Automation Framework?
- Used by COS – The 24/7 operations center monitoring ATM's, System Alerts and more.
- Used by CCRM – Change Control and Release Management.
- Used by the Middleware Team – to support WebSphere products, configuration, and in conjunction with CCRM for application deployments.
- Used by Tier-1 operations – Start/Stop and control traffic and helps validate infrastructure during incidents/outages.
- Used by various AppDev teams – read only permissions on viewing RAF logs for Application Deployments.
Example of how Rational AVP contributed to a client goal/challenge
The Credit Union requirement was to install a vertical cluster with 7 total nodes.
The Rational Accelerated Value Leader (AVL), along with RAF and Deploy SWAT Engineer, were able to automate this with an outstanding result whereby with RAF, the task is accomplished in under 50 minutes. as opposed to the same task taking 4 hours when performed manually.
What does this mean for the client?
1 person manual effort 4 hours
1 Install X 4 hours X $77 FTE = $308
1 person with RAF 50 minutes
1 install X .83 hours X $77 FTE = $63.91
1 person manual effort 12 hours
1 Install X 12 hours X $77 FTE = $924
1 person with RAF 4 hours
1 install X 4 hours X $77 FTE =$308
Team of 10 doing 100 WAS deployments/year = $616K Savings
Credit Union’s Annual Rational AVP Contract $178,000
Credit Union’s ROI = 3.46X for this single, critical process automation!
What does RAF provide to Credit Union?
- Each team can access RAF and initiate their own jobs -removing the need for requests
- Each team can build and tear down their environments as needed
- All jobs can be scheduled to occur during none business hours
- Import one environment and promote to another environment.
- Templating allows for environment duplication
- Configuration drift between environments
- BPM, MQ, Process Server etc.
Contact us today to learn more about the many benefits of the IBM Software Accelerated Value Program:
- Irene Bond (email@example.com) - Rational AVP Business Development Manager, Americas
- John Dejevij (firstname.lastname@example.org) - Rational AVP New Business Manager, EMEA
- General Inquiries: email@example.com