WHAT COMPELS AN IBM PARTNER TO PUT SUCH A MAGNITUDE OF TRUST IN IBM RATIONAL AVP?
IBM has very complex relationships with many of the world’s largest companies. We’re competitors, joint venture partners, OEM buddies and collaborators. We each fiercely guard any competitive edge and use it to relentlessly hammer each other. All is fair in love, war and the technology business.
One of IBM’s largest competitors is also one of IBM's most important business partners for software and systems. This Consulting Firm’s goal is to standardize how they approach software delivery for their clients. They consider Rational to be a good technology fit in this area, so they have made the Collaborative Lifecycle Management (CLM) solution and other Rational products the critical foundation of their software delivery process. This is a clear endorsement of IBM Rational products and strategy by one of the world’s leading companies.
Since 2007, this Consulting Firm has also invested in a successfully evolving partnership with the experienced Rational Accelerated Value Program (AVP) team. AVP is Predictive, Preemptive and Proactive - bringing fast ROI for Rational Software clients across the globe. Consulting Firm relies on their AVP team for advice on their overall software deployment strategy, guidance on successful roll out of Rational tools, and the management of expedited resolution for cost-inducing software issues. The client considers the AVP team to be a high value extension of their own teams and have granted access to several of their internal systems and environments to make collaboration and troubleshooting easier- showing ultimate trust with IBM AVP.
The flexibility and personalization of the Accelerated Value Program has meant that the service continuously adapts to align with Consulting Firm's needs, so it is no surprise that the by the end of their current contract they will have been a AVP client for a full decade! AVP’s comprehensive knowledge of their customer’s business goals, ecosystem and topology helps ensure that the team is well positioned to dynamically respond to changing business conditions, partnering for continued success.
EXAMPLES OF HOW CONSULTING FIRM’S BUSINESS WOULD HAVE BEEN IMPACTED WITHOUT THE GUIDANCE OF THE EXPERIENCED RATIONAL ACCELERATED VALUE PROGRAM TEAM
1. IBM’s CLM Development identified a serious security vulnerability (not Heartbleed, but having significant threat potential due to Consulting Firm’s large customer base) allowing a remote user to execute arbitrary code on a CLM server without authenticating. With AVP’s intimate knowledge of Consulting Firm's CLM deployment model, we immediately realized the devastating impact this vulnerability could have if exploited on any of Consulting Firm's 1000+ CLM deployments. Working with IBM Level 3 support and IBM Legal, the AVP team were authorized to notify Consulting Firm of this vulnerability more than a week before it was to be published. This gave Consulting Firm enough time to remediate all of their servers prior to the vulnerability becoming public.
2. Working with IBM Level 2 support and IBM Development, the AVP team arranged for the delivery of more than 20 hotfixes for Consulting Firm's CLM deployments in 2013. Without these hotfixes Consulting Firm would have had to upgrade all 1000+ of their CLM deployments to each quarterly release. Avoiding 5 additional upgrades saved Consulting Firm $3.08 million (1000 deployments X 8 hours per upgrade X 5 upgrades X $77/hr FTE cost).
OVER THE PAST YEAR, THE AVP TEAM HAS COLLABORATED ON SEVERAL WINS WITH CONSULTING FIRM’S STAKEHOLDERS. READ JUST SOME OF THE IMPRESSIVE AVP ACHIEVEMENTS BELOW:
- Guiding more than 1,000 successful deployments of the CLM applications for Consulting Firm's clients, including many brands that are household names
- Facilitating rapid resolution to production issues in order to keep Consulting Firm's 40,000+licensed Rational users productive. AVP drove resolution of over 100 Consulting Firm PMRs in 2013 facilitating the correct focus from support delivery and development.
- By managing Consulting Firm's enhancement requests and explaining the business case to IBM Development and Product Management, AVP helped with the delivery of 5 of Consulting Firm's most important and strategic requests in CLM releases in 2013.
- Providing advance warning of changes impacting Consulting Firm's hosting and deployment model - lowering risk and preventing costly issues form occurring.
- Defining product upgrade and roll out plans with the client enables Consulting Firm to annually upgrade each of the 20 Rational products covered under AVP. Meticulous AVP planning, guidance, and environment preparation are critical for driving successful projects where risk is heightened.
WHAT’S AHEAD FOR THE CONSULTING FIRM’S AVP PARTNERSHIP IN THE FUTURE?
Looking ahead, because there has been significant growth in Consulting Firm's' Rational portfolio, AVP has already advised and set a schedule to sunset support of older Rational tools over the duration of the contract. This will assist Consulting Firm in making the most of its investment in Rational tools, not only by having the latest technologies and functionality, but also by following the trusted advice on how to best use those tools to meet every business goal efficiently.