IBM Rational DOORS Next Gen is supported on Jazz platform helping you to collaborate with other Jazz platform tools like Rational Team Concert and Rational Quality Manager in your environment.
IBM Rational DOORS Next Generation provides additional features like:
- Enhanced collaborative environment for requirements management in support of engineering practices and project collaboration for complex and embedded systems; interoperability between versions of IBM Rational DOORS.
- Advanced web support for rich text formatting, diagrams and graphics for capturing and managing requirements.
- Integrated requirements management tools to help drive better design, development and testing during the software engineering lifecycle.
- Expanded planning and lifecycle capabilities with compliance to industry standards and regulations.
Rational DOORS Next Gen has assumed the place of Rational Requirements Management (RM) for the Jazz platform that adds a requirements definition and management application on top of that common platform.
Now let’s discuss the DOORS Next Gen licensing concept.
DOORS Next Gen is the name rendered to the DOORS installation based on Jazz platform where you can enrich your client from a DOORS Next Gen Analyst or a Requirements Composer Client Access license. The contemporary version of the DOORS thick client is available too; this is DOORS 9.5.
Notice the fact, as per the screenshot above, that DOORS Next Gen and Rational Requirements Composer are based on Jazz platform activated by authorized or floating CALs (Client Access Licenses).
The Jazz admin can assign the licenses to the users by logging in to the License Management page which defines the level of access for each user.
Points to remember
- DOORS 9.5 does not check out the license from the Jazz Team server; instead a license server is required to host the license and an environment variable TELELOGIC_LICENSE_FILE.
- An IBM Rational DOORS Next Gen license is available at no extra cost to clients with active subscription and support for Rational DOORS.
- Rational DOORS license holders are entitled to Jazz license keys for Rational DOORS Next Generation, with applicable renewals.
- DOORS Next Gen and Rational Requirements Composer are products derived out at different requirement management levels, however either one of the licenses will work for the other.
- The same web-based Requirements Management capabilities are available to both Rational DOORS Next Gen and Rational Requirements Composer users.
I hope you've got the info you are looking for, but you might still have some questions in mind. If so, I invite you to take a look at the FAQs section below and to check out the Rational Common Licensing Support Community for even more licensing support tips, tricks, how-tos and community delivered assistance.
Are there differences generating the licenses for DOORS 9.5 and DOORS Next Gen?
Both are absolutely the same. Generating the license for DOORS 9.5 via the License key center also generates the license for DOORS Next Gen Analyst (Jazz license).
Is there a role based licensing model for DOORS Next Gen on Jazz platform?
Yes. Refer to the screenshot below.
Can DOORS Web Access (DWA) 9.5 acquire a license of DOORS Next Gen?
DWA is the name for the client installed in the bundle with DOORS 9.5. Hence DWA still retains the way of checking out a license by defining an environment variable TELELOGIC_LICENSE_FILE. However DOORS Next Gen can be accessed as a web
What if I need an evaluation of DOORS Next Gen?
You are welcome to download the trial version of DOORS Next Gen from https://jazz.net/downloads/rational-doors/releases/4.0.2. The trial licenses that are installed in the Jazz Team Server provide access to the capabilities of Rational DOORS Next Generation, Rational Team Concert, and Rational Quality Manager
I do not see a license that can be generated for DWA 9.5 on the license key center. How do I go about it?
DWA Edit or Review license generated with the DWA 1.5 with maintenance applied, greater than 14th Dec 2012, you can use DWA 9.5.
DWA 9.5 is launched and I do not have a license for DWA. How can this be explained?
DWA 9.5 can also be launched with a DOORS 9.5 license. If you have a DOORS license, it stands explained.
See you folks. Let’s get together with my next blog post.