Jazz team server has a detailed reporting mechanism for the floating license usage and these reports can be very helpful in managing the available floating licenses effectively. The reports give a picture of license consumption in a given time frame. This not only helps you to manage your licenses but also provides a big picture about your license requirements for a project.
There are two ways to collect data about the license usage on a license server:
* Historic usage snapshots - Data that tracks how many of each CAL were used concurrently over time.
* Full license usage log - Exactly which users used which CALs and for how long.
Historic usage snapshots
By default, the license server will collect basic license usage data and store the data as historic snapshots. The data collected is only how many of each Client Access License, CAL were used, and by which server. That data is used to generate the graphs provided by the admin web UI.
You can see the admin web UI graphs by going to this URL, http
Load the admin web UI of the license server, usually http
Three ways of monitoring the license usage on the web UI:
1. Click the server tab and in the licensing pane, Click reports.
2. On the floating license usage page, select a license type from the menu.
3. Optional : Enter values in the start date and end date fields.
4. Click on the "Reports" link in the "Floating License Usage" section of the left navigation area.
The page to obtain the floating license usage looks like this:
In below given scenario:
We are running the reports for the IBM Rational Quality Manager – Quality Professional – Token licenses from September 1st to September 10th.
Further the details about the license denial's if any also would be present in the logs.
In below provided image, It is clear that the consumption of the tokens is high from 09/09/2012 to 09/12/2012.
You can also get access to the raw data through the generic reporting UI by doing the following:
View the report UI in the web by going to http
Full license usage log
To use the full license log, you must first enable it through the admin web UI. You can do it through the following steps:
After the license log has been enabled a file will be generated for each license action that happens on the server. Here is an extract of a sample log:
The meaning of each column is: