I suspect I could get DOORS Web Access (DWA) installed and running on Windows in 5 minutes. But I hear grumbling about it so I am sharing and timing a DWA 126.96.36.199 install in a rush. I’m usually in a rush.
[Start the stopwatch]
- Download it, usually from Fix Central. 188.8.131.52 is current and is here
- If necessary, install the DOORS client. The DOORS client must be the exact same version as DWA. If there is already a client installed of a different version, uninstall it. I do this uninstall while the download is going on. If it is already installed and the same exact version as your DWA, skip this.
- Start the DOORS client - make sure it works and connects to your database
- Establish the database ID - run Tools - Edit DXL - print databaseID
- Save that value (5304e5790e4b2eef for me)
- Run the dbinfo commands. I never copy them from webpages that may include tab and quotes that break it. I make sure I see a “–I- DBADMIN” for every parameter I set, i.e. I need to see 6 of these. If I’m just upgrading, I skip this step as they are already set in my database. But if I am not upgrading and I need to set them, I refer to the help for the syntax Configuring the Rational DOORS database server
- Stop the DOORS client
- Restart the DOORS database server
- Install DWA (I usually do this in parallel to the above)
- Edit <DWA Install>/server/festival/config/festival.xml
- Replace REPLACE_THIS_WITH_YOUR_REPOSITORY_ID with the database ID we found using DXL
- Insert location of the license server
- Edit dwa.start.bat
- Put in the DOORS_PATH and DWA_PATH and if the database is not on the same machine or default port, edit DOORS_HOST.
- Run dwa.start.bat as Administrator and take this opportunity to practice patience (i.e. throw paper airplanes at Fiachra)
It is important to wait for it to start, as the first time you start it, it is uncompressing the .war files and putting them in different places - this can take minutes. If you interrupt it, you get partly deployed war files which will cause problems later.
When in the Tomcat window you see the message 'INFO: Server startup in xx ms', it should be done
- Open a web browser and go to https://<hostname>:8443/dwa and login. The first very login tends to be a bit slow to load the login page. And as we have used self-signed certificates, the browser will ask if you want to proceed.
[Stop the stopwatch]
24min 11sec. This included downloading and first draft of this blog. So 5 minutes is not in fact possible for me, I stand corrected. Downloading and starting are the slowest parts.
Avoid problems by having the DOORS client and DWA at the same version level and make sure that the client can start and that you don’t interrupt the tomcat start. If the database server is on the same machine, it is usually best to also upgrade it in order to avoid any DLL compatibility issues.