Rational Support encountered a case for IBM Rational Team Concert (RTC) where 400+ custom attributes in a project needed to be deleted. These attributes were removed from the presentation and from "Types and Attributes" in the process configuration, but they still show up in the Query Editor.
In this situation, how can the custom attributes be deleted permanently so they do not show up in the Query Editor or anywhere else? Unfortunately, there is not a way to permanently delete custom attributes from a RTC repository. This is applicable at least until RTC 4.0.6 versions.
There is a technote that has the details on this and the work around that you can use using the Eclipse client:
One of the options available is to archive the custom attributes and not include these when querying. However, in this example there was a request for a workaround for not being able to delete custom attributes. Again, the environment in this example had over 400 attributes to delete.
One of the workarounds being considered by the client was to create a duplicate project without the custom attributes. The client wanted to know if they can create a RTC project identical to an existing project with the same members, work items and work flows, but without the custom attributes. Additionally, they were not keen to create the project manually and having to recreate the work item types and work flows. Then they could export the existing work items and import them into the new project.
As an alternative, here are some possible steps you can take instead of deleting the custom attributes. However, I strongly recommend that these steps be tested first on a test set-up to verify if this meets the requirement behavior before trying this on a production system.
- Export the existing process template from the initial project area.
- Import it on a test server.
- Modify the process template by removing the custom attributes and as well as removing these from the work item editor in the test server.
- Save the process template.
- Now create a new project area based on this modified process template.
- From the initial project area, export the work items without the custom attributes and import them in this new project area, which is created in step 5.
This is an alternative which should retain the work flows, work items. However, this would not retain the work item history.