License Borrow: Borrow If you need one, and return back at your convenience.
What do we understand when we talk about borrowing a license? Lets talk about borrowing. In arithmetic, when a digit become smaller than limit and the deficiency is taken from the next digit to the left in order to serve the need. So the word Borrow or borrowing can mean: to receive (something) from somebody temporarily, expecting to return it.
Lets see the similarity between the above mentioned definition in terms of licenses: License Borrowing feature allows individual users to “borrow” a license key temporarily if they will be going off-site, to enable use of the software even when the license server is not accessible - for example, when visiting the client or on a business trip. This technology significantly reduces the risk of a lost or stolen hardware key, or non availability of the network.
When making a borrow request, the user is either connected to the server over the network, or with some systems the license can be borrowed via secure file exchange between the disconnected user's system and the server. After the license has been borrowed, the user can then disconnect the computer from the network and continue to use the software for the
length of the borrow period, which is typically determined by the software vendor. During this time, the borrowed license is removed from the pool of available licenses. After the borrow period expires the license is then checked back into the pool.
One of the most awaited features in Rational Software's Licenses is the “Early return license once borrowed" feature that was not a part of the Rational License Key Server 8.1.2 and prior releases. However, this enhancement has been approved and released in the latest version of Rational License Server 8.1.3 . Subsequently, you can now borrow a license with a single click using the BORROW UTILITY, and return it before it expires so that other users can access it! ( Returning of Borrowed License is only possible from the Rational License Server Version 8.1.3 ).
How to borrow is simple: Please see the step by step instructions on how to Borrow and “Early return the Borrowed Licenses
- Go to the computer, on which you want to run a product (for a limited time) without a network connection to the license server.
- Start the LMTOOLS license tool from the Start menu > Programs > IBM Rational > License Tools > LMTOOLS.
- Click the Borrowing tab.
- Now decide how long you need to borrow the license keys.
- When the borrow period expires, LMTOOLS automatically returns all borrowed license keys to the license manager.
- Specify values in the Return Date and Return Time edit fields, then click the Set Borrow Expiration button.
- You do not need to do anything to return the borrowed license. When the borrow period expires, the borrowed license is no longer available. To see the licenses that you have borrowed, run LMTOOLS.
- Click Borrowing then click List Currently Borrowed Features.
Now, if you would want to early return the borrowed license using Rational License Borrow Utility, the RCL 8.1.3 Borrow Tool has the “Return Product” button enabled and available on selecting one borrowed product from Borrowed Products table.
On Clicking on “Return Products” button by selecting one or more borrowed products, It will go ahead with the Return Early operation. Note: This is only possible from Rational License Key Server 8.1.3 onwards.
The three sceen shots below will exemplify this early return process:
LINK : http://publib.boulder.ibm.com/infocenter/rational/v0r0m0/index.jsp?topic=/com.ibm.rational.license.doc/topics/r_borrow_license.html
LINK : http://www.ibm.com/support/docview.wss?uid=swg21597667
Author: Saurabh Tyagi