Once you have access to the IBM Rational License Key Center Website (as described in our prior blog post here) and if you are looking at activating your Rational Product you are required to generate a license from the License Key Center Website.
There are various license models available to be used for different products namely:
Activation Kits: Activation if you own Authorized User licenses
If you purchased an Authorized User license of the products listed above, you simply need to obtain and install an "activation kit" for your product that will convert it to a non-expiring version. Activation kits are product-specific (they are not host-specific like Rational license keys). This means if you own multiple licenses of one of the products, you only need one activation kit and you can use it on any machine where the product is installed.
For more information on Product Activation of Eclipse-based Rational products please refer the technote below:
An IBM Rational Floating license is a license for a single software product that can be shared among multiple team members; however, the total number of concurrent users cannot exceed the number of Floating licenses you purchase. For example, if you purchased one Floating license for an IBM Rational product, then any user in your organization may use the product at any given time. Any other person who wants to access the product must wait until the original user logs off.
For more information on Floating Licenses refer the technote below:
ATRIA License (Specific to IBM Rational ClearCase):
Rational ClearCase Atria licenses uses a proprietary floating license scheme. To use ClearCase, you must obtain a license, which grants the privilege to use ClearCase on any host served by the same license server.
The license server component is installed with a Rational ClearCase server installation; it cannot be installed separately or as a license server only. The full installation of ClearCase is required in order to serve out ClearCase licenses, and there is no separate license server program. ClearCase is required in order to serve out ClearCase licenses, and there is no separate license server program.
For more information about Rational ClearCase Atria Licensing refer the technote below:
Now let us explore the steps to generate the Floating license keys:
1. Navigate to IBM Rational License Key Center Website at: http://www.ibm.com/software/rational/support/licensing/ and Log into the Rational License Key Center
2. Log in with your credentials
3. Click on Get Keys in the left navigation pane under section My License Keys
4. Select the desired product from the Product line list
5. Select the type of license key that you need to generate from the list displayed
6. Check (Select) the respective check box and Next
7. Provide the quantity of license keys that you need to generate
8. If your license server is already registered in the License Key Center website
Select it from Existing hosts; else leave default
9. Select the Host ID Type from the drop down
10. Enter the value for Host ID
Disk Serial Number is 8 characters
Ethernet Address is 12 characters
No special character allowed
11. Enter the Hostname of the system
12. Select the appropriate value for Server Configuration:
-Single Server License: If the license key you are generating is for one license server
-3 Redundant License Servers: If the license key you are generating is for redundant license server setup
13. Enter respective section of Hostname, HostID for the Secondary and Tertiary systems
14. Click Generate
15. Once the license keys is generated then click on Download License Keys.
16. Transfer the license key to the system where it needs to be imported to the License Key Server
For more information on How to generate a Rational Floating license key please refer the technote below:
For Product Activation Kits, please select the product line and choose the appropriate Product Activation Kit, please remember the activation kits are version dependent and host Independent, click on the activation kit and download the zip file on the machine which has the product and activate the product.
For more information on How to Activate the product activation kit, please refer the technote below:
Reference today's prior blog post for information on "How to get access to the Rational License Key Center Website to obtain Rational"
Author: Kushagra Sharma