As a prerequisite, IBM Rational Functional Tester (RFT) and the Application Under Test (AUT) should be configured on the same machine. The RFT playback process performs the actions recorded on the AUT which required the AUT to be opened. At the same instance no other actions should be performed in that machine.
Having said that, here are possible ways to achieve this.
To enable support for multiple concurrent connections to a Rational Functional Tester project, you must implement a version control system. Currently, there are three supported solutions which include out of the box support for integration with Rational Functional Tester, including mechanisms to automatically keep test scripts and their dependencies synchronized:
- IBM Rational Team Concert (RTC)
- IBM Rational ClearCase
- IBM Rational Quality Manager (RQM)
- You can put the project in a shared drive or folder. Project folder is the folder that holds the script. You can connect to this project using the menu selection of File > Connect to Functional Tester Project. However, this is not the recommended way. If multiple users connect to a project, the chances of project getting corrupted is high and you may experience permanent data loss.
- If you just want to share the script with others, you can also export the RFT scripts as "Functional Tester Project Items" (.rftjdtr file). Anyone can import them into an existing project. However, this will create individual project copies for each of you.
- Another alternate is through Citrix sessions, wherein multiple users should be able to connect to a Citrix server on which RFT and AUT are installed and work without any issues. This assumes you have a RFT floating license for each Citrix session invoked by user.