During RFT installation, you might encounter the below error
rtivregister.exe - Common Language Runtime Debugging Services
Application has generated an exception that could not be handled.
Process id = XXXX, Thread id = XXXXX
Click OK to terminate the application.
Click Cancel to debug the application.
After clicking OK , RFT installation would be carried out; however you will not be able launch RFT on the machine.
In Windows Registry Editor, under the HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Rational Software\Rational Test\8 path, Rational FT Net Assembly Name key would not have created.
To resolve the error during installation you can try following the below procedures
1. Contact IBM Support for obtaining a new rtivregister.exe file. You can raise PMR through SR tool.
2. Install base version of RFT ( RFT 8.6 , 184.108.40.206 or 220.127.116.11. Ignore the error popup message during installation.
3. Take a backup of the rtivregister.exe file present in RFT bin directory located in C:\Program Files (x86)\IBM\SDP\FunctionalTester\bin directory file and replace it with the one obtained from IBM
4. Launch command prompt with 'Run as Administrator' privilege and navigate to the bin directory.
5. Run rtivregister.exe and confirm that Rational FT Net Assembly Name key is getting generated.
For upgrading RFT, you can replace the rtivregister.exe with the original file and perform the upgrade process by ignoring the error.
After upgrade, continue the steps 3 to 5 to complete the installation.