If you are getting started with Android application development and want to jump in the driver’s seat right away, then you are in the right place. In this blog post, in a few simple steps I will get you started, and maybe in five minutes or so, you will actually be done with your first full-fledged Android mobile application running on your emulator (or an Android device, if you have one).
I am assuming that you already have the Android development environment ready. If not, please follow the steps below:
- Download the Android software development kit (SDK).
- Install the Android Development Tools (ADT) plug-in for Eclipse (if you are using Eclipse).
- Download the latest SDK tools and platforms using the SDK Manager.
So here we go. To develop your first application, perform the following steps:
1. Launch Eclipse (select a workspace location of your choice) and click Project… under File > New in the toolbar.
2. Next, select Android Application Project from under Android and click the Next button.
3. Enter your application details.
For example, give the Application Name as “MyApp.” The rest of the fields like Project Name and Package Name will be pre-filled by the name given under the Application Name field. Change the package name if you want. Click the Next button.
4. You will see the next window to configure the project. Just uncheck the “Create custom launcher icon” and leave the rest of the options as they are. Please refer to the image below.
5. Here you will be asked to create an activity of a specific type and purpose. Just click the Next button.
6. You can configure the activity that you have selected in step five and click the Finish button. Now you are done!
7. Once the workspace is ready, just click the Run button and select Android Application. The Android emulator is launched.
Congratulations! You’ve written your first Android application. That is it for now. In my next blog post, I will be covering some in-depth concepts of Android development.
If you want to share some comments or suggestions, you are invited to leave a comment below or connect with me on Twitter @tushu_baxi.