If you want to learn about a good way to develop and extend web applications for mobile devices (meaning Android devices, at present), download and try the IBM Mobile Technology Preview. MTP is a set of code samples and services to help you get started. Here's what comes in the box:
- A RESTful notification service
- PhoneGap, an open source framework for building hybrid mobile apps
- A lightweight WebSphere Application Server runtime
- Sample code, including:
- A simple application that demonstrates the client-side notification library.
- A sample insurance application that a customer might use to report a car accident to his insurance company.
- A hybrid version of the existing Dojo Showcase sample. This one can run when the mobile device is disconnected from the network.
- A Dojo Mobile-enhanced version of the existing PhoneGap API sample. This one looks and feels nicer.
There's more, of course, like documentation and such. Read about it at the official IBM Mobile Technology Preview site
. MTP is a work in progress and the developers would really like your feedback. Once you've tried it, go to the discussion forum
and let them know what you think.
The postings on this site are my own and don't necessarily represent IBM's positions, strategies or opinions.