IBM MQ 9.0.3 is the next continuous delivery update for MQ, with IBM MQ 9.0 being the current Long Term Support option. The continuous delivery releases incrementally build on the MQ 9.0 features, providing early, supported, access to the latest MQ capabilities. Version 9.0.3 has released slightly ahead of our 4 monthly cadence, and been delivered concurrently on distributed, z/OS and the appliance platforms. MQ 9.0.3 can be obtained from:
- PassportAdvantage for Windows and Linux platforms (Search for part numbers CJ1RJML for Production use and CJ1RLML for Trial)
- shopZ for z/OS. Each PID has a Long Term Support and Continuous Delivery orderable feature.
Search for APAR PI78494 to find the PTFs to update your installation from 9.0.2 to 9.0.3 (APAR PI80939 for MQ Managed File Transfer). The Continuous Delivery orderable feature will be updated to 9.0.3 on 16th June 2017.
- 5655-MQ9 - IBM MQ for z/OS
- 5655-VU9 - IBM MQ for z/OS Value Unit Edition
- 5655-AM9 - IBM MQ Advanced Message Security for z/OS
- 5655-MF9 - IBM MQ Managed File Transfer for z/OS
- 5655-AV9 - IBM MQ Advanced for z/OS
- This is a bundle of MQ Advanced Message Security and MQ Managed File Transfer (no MQ entitlement included)
- 5655-AV1 - IBM MQ Advanced for z/OS Value Unit Edition
- This is a bundle of MQ Advanced Message Security, MQ Managed File Transfer and MQ for z/OS Value Unit Edition
- The IBM MQ Appliance 9.0.3 firmware image can be obtained from Fix Central and can be applied to both the M2000 and M2001 hardware models.
What's in MQ 9.0.3?
MQ 9.0.3 has been largely focused on z/OS, but there have been some smaller updates on the other platforms and continued development of the REST administration interface.
- IBM MQ Advanced for z/OS Value Unit Edition has a new Connector Pack, which includes:
- A Blockchain bridge that can asynchronously connect to the IBM Blockchain service in Bluemix and query information about a resource in the blockchain.
- The ability to connect MQ Managed File Transfer Agents on z/OS to remote queue managers running in other LPARs on z/OS.
- The ability for the queue manager to register with the IBM Product Insights service on Bluemix to report basic product configuration information, as well as providing metrics on data being put to the queue manager.
- The MQ REST API has had some updates to enable read and update of the queue manager configuration, plus querying of the status.
- IBM MQ Managed File Transfer has had additional diagnostics added to improve the user experience of understanding why file transfers have failed and what corrective action needs to be taken to resovle the problem.
- In addition to the REST interface updates, IBM MQ Appliance can intercept messages from clients not configured to work with MQ Advanced Message Security(AMS) and enable them to interact with queues that have AMS policies defined, such as signing and/or encryption. See the Configuring AMS Interception Knowledge Center topic.
- The IBM MQ Advanced for Developers image in the IBM
Cont aine rs s ervi ce o n Bl uemi x will be updated shortly to 9.0.3. The image name is ibm-mq. See this blog post for further information on getting started.
- A new feature in 9.0.3 for simplifying deployments into cloud environments is the addition of the crtmqdir command. Traditionally the MQ data directory is created at installation time, but with more dynamic cloud and virtualized environments the install and runtime environments can be separate. For example, with Docker crtmqdir can be used to populate the /var/mqm directory when the container first starts.
Look out for further blog articles and video demos on YouTube in the coming days, expanding on the new features and capabilities. For our Offering Management perspective on MQ 9.0.3 head over to Leif
Can I get a copy of IBM MQ 9.0.3 for development purposes?
Yes, you can. A free download to use for development is available from the IBM
Remind me how the Continuous Delivery support model works...
Its worth reminding you what the Continuous Delivery support model means for MQ.
- MQ 9.0 LTS will be supported for a minimum of 5 years from its availability in May 2016, and will receive fix only updates through fixpacks versioned 188.8.131.52, 184.108.40.206 and so on.
- MQ CD updates will be delivered with the 3rd digit change - 9.0.1, 9.0.2 and so on. Fixes will only be provided on the most recent two CD updates, so you need to keep moving forward with the MQ CD releases. Also, MQ CD updates will be delivered with new function enabled by default.
- The IBM
MQ F AQ f or L ong Ter m Su p por t an d Co n tin u ous Del i ver y Re l eas e s will hopefully answer most of your questions.
MQ System Requirements and documentation
The system requirements are documented at the links below. IBM MQ is being made available on a subset of the LTS operating systems. The set of supported operating systems are z/OS, Microsoft Windows, Linux on x86-64, Linux on IBM z Systems and Linux on Little Endian Power (RHEL, SLES and Ubuntu).
Other Fix Central resources
A number of MQ 9.0.3 components are made available on Fix Central for ease of download. Here are the links to the available components:
- The IBM
MQ R eso u rce Ada p t e r for use with any JEE 7.0 compliant application server
- The I
BM M Q redistributable M a nag e d F i le T ran s fer Age nt s
- The IBM MQ C clients
- The IBM
MQ J ava / J M S c l ie n t
- The IBM
MQ r edi s tri b uta b le c lie n t s
- The IBM
MQ S erv i ce P rov i der for z/O S Co n ne c t
- The IBM
MQ A ppl i anc e f irm w are upd a t e