Catch phrase: “You can count on me to fix your problem””
Ida’s main responsibility : Solve user issues about Lotus Notes, Sametime and the Domino Directory, including managing Notes IDs and passwords and Sametime passwords, for her company “Riesige Elektronikfirma”
Ida really enjoys her job because she feels a sense of accomplishment every time she helps fix anyone’s Lotus Notes or Sametime problem.
She has been a second line Notes/Sametime support person for two years. She moved up from first line (help desk) support after being there for quite a few years. The help desk job was her first job after finishing gymnasium. Her desk (and her Notes Workspace) is neat and clean.
A good day is when she has been able to track down a problem that required a little creative thinking or sleuthing. A boring day is when she spends most of it simply processing name changes or making changes to directory groups, and a bad day is when several people have really bad mail or Sametime issues and they get upset with her when their problems are not fixed.
As a mom, she does not get much spare time, but she enjoys reading, and getting the latest and greatest mobile phone gadgets.
Ida is 32. She finished gymnasium but her abitur test scores did not make her a university candidate. She’s married to Niklas (who is in IT at a different company) and has a son Florian, aged 4. She enjoys playing with him in their small back garden. In her cubicle she has the following picture of Niklas and Florian playing a computer game on the little terrace outside.
She enjoys working with people and is good at calming down irate or upset people. She’s very empathetic.
She prefers face to face interaction because she’s a people person, however, because she has to be able to track all support calls for statistical records, she now prefers email and chat. She loves being able to set a default to save all chats so that when someone sends her an instant message with a problem, that gets saves in case she needs to turn that into a trouble ticket resolution. Enjoys department meetings and parties because she gets to see and interact with her colleagues.
Who she works with:
- Other people in second line Notes/Domino/Sametime support
- First-line support people
- Third-line support people when she needs to escalate a problem that she cannot fix
- She takes calls/issues/problems from any other employee who needs second line support for Notes/Domino/Sametime. This could range from an executive assistant an Executive or a young new hire.
She’s part of a 5-person second line support team.
The second line support team is part of a larger IT organization. The larger group includes:
- First, second, and third line support
- Several project planners who plan the rollouts of new products or upgrades
- Systems and directory administration
Generally the work environment is friendly. However, if there is a critical issue that needs to get fixed, things can get tense. The fact that she uses Lotus Notes and Sametime all day, every day, helps her to understand and better diagnose users’ problems.
- She has a Windows XP desktop machine with a flat-panel monitor
- She’s running Notes 7.0.1 and Sametime 7.5.1. She also uses several custom Lotus Notes applications as part of her work, and she’s got Microsoft Office.
- She also uses the Domino Admin client.
- She has several versions of Internet Explorer so that she can support DWA users.
She works in the electronics industry at a large, multi-national firm headquartered in
The IT is centralized in
- Solve users Notes/Domino and Sametime problems as quickly as possible so that these users can get back to work.
- Create Domino person records, ID’s, user names and passwords for new hires. <!--[endif]-->
- Conversely, she must also ensure that users who have left the company are removed from the Directory and their IDs are dealt with.
- Resetting the Domino http passwords for users who have forgotten it. (This is for access to Sametime and for Domino Web Access.)
- For users who have lost their Notes ID for forgotten their Notes password, getting them back up and running.
- Desktop support like installation issues, interact with people who do network support. Helpdesk tickets.
- Wants users of second-line support to be satisfied 99% of the time because their issue has been fixed quickly.
- Move up to 3rd line support
- Not to look stupid in front of the users who need second line support
- Have management be pleased with the number of incidents she can handle.
Managing Notes IDs takes a long time and can be confusing, especially compared to managing usernames and passwords.
An understanding of the Domino directory
Basic administration of Domino
Basic administration of Sametime
Proficient at using Lotus Notes and Sametime
Good people skills
Calm, patient, and reassuming telephone skills
Bi-lingual in English and German (she finds it easier to speak in German. )
Domino Administration client
Sametime administration client
Various file shares that contain copies of Notes IDs
Rename a user: Janie Doe got married over the weekend. She is now Jane Buck. Ida receives notification of the name change and has to change the person record in the domino directory so that Jane Buck can log in to Notes and Sametime.
Add a new hire: At Renovations, Ida assigns a username and a password to each user so that on the first day of work they can log into the Human resources system and fill out tax paperwork online. Once they actually show up at work, then she creates the Notes user ID. (They wait, because creating the user ID is more time-consuming and believe it or not, often people accept a job but then do not actually show up!)
Add a person to a group in the directory: Ida has to add or remove people from groups in the directory. (this is a job that she finds very boring and she does this first thing in the morning to get it over with.)
Encourage group owners to take charge of their groups.
- Check AdminP for re-certifications and other things.
- Track down “lost mail” issues by checking the logins, going into the mail.box to see if the message is sitting as dead mail.
- Work with the third-line support on their “perimeter” mail servers that do spam filtering, antivirus checking and things, before the mail goes outside the corporate intranet.
- Work with server team if there are other issues like router issues., to try to track down where routers are failing.