In Hannover, Samantha Daryn (a design persona) will be able to:
- Use a few simple locatoins (e.g. Online and Offline, Travel, and Home)
- See all her old locations from Notes 7 if she had a bunch of custom ones, exept a few that we are consolidating (e.g. the 2 "home" ones)
- Manage her locations in a comprehenisble way (from a spot off the menu tree as compared to Notes 7 where it is buried in the personal name and address book)
OLD TERM New Term/mapping
Office (network) Online
Island (disconnected) Offline
Travel (notes direct dialup) Travel (should we remove?)
Home (notes direct dialup) Home (should we remove?)
Home (network dialup) <remove>
Samantha will still see a "picklist" of locations in her status bar, and be abe to "Edit Current..." from there. (however, choosing Edit Current will bring up a dialog now).
We're simplifying the menus by changing "Mobile" to "Locations" and having fewer choices:
Choosing "Switch to Location..." brings up the same dialog as "Choose Current Location" used to.
Choosing "Manage Locations" brings up the following dialog:
And Choosing "New" or "Edit" brings up basically the following dialog (remember, we're now hiding the internet browser and the instant messaging tabs because they have preferences elsewhere):
Advanced users can still go to the Personal Name and Address book, and under "Advanced", get to the locations stuff.
(We really wanted to find a way to hide it for basic users, but our plates are getting full with all the other stuff we're doing, so we're hoping that these changes above will at least get Samantha off to a better start.)
A few questions:
1. Should we pare down to just 2 locations by default (online and offline) or go with the 4 listed above?
2. What should we do about the "Edit Current Time/Date..." dialog, which used to be on the menus? It's this one:
We could keep the menu item, Make it a tab in the "Edit Location" dialog, or invoke it from a button in the "Locations" preferences dialog. How many of your users still use that?
3. How important is it that we hide the Advanced stuff in the personal nab? Would having it still be there ruin any simplified experience? (of course, there are still things in the Advanced pernab that are not on this Locations redesign.)
Let's save the discussion of whether to keep the term "Locations" for another day. Thanks. I look forward to having LOTS of responses and opinions when I return from my week of vacation!