In the Hannover release we are redrawing all of the view icons. It's been quite a few years, and it was time for an update. As you can see below, we are going for a softer palette, not quite as bright.
Now, when I say "view icons" I mean the icons that app devs can use in database views. In our redraw, we concentrated on their use in Mail, Calendar and Contacts. But of course, we are also mindful of the fact that you use these icons in your custom applications as well.
To that end, we tried in most cases to keep the metaphor, but just update the visual. There were a few cases, however, where we felt that the metaphor was out of date or did not work well in Mail/Calendar/Contacts.
So take a look at the new icons. They are the first grid below. The Second grid is the existing icons. Pay special attention to the following, because we change the metaphors:
- 0, 10 -- changes from the "finger with a string" to an alarm clock
- 0,160--changes to a clock type thing from a person with a hand raised
- 1, 80 -- changes from the X to a different kind of "do not" type international symbol
- 6, 160-- (mood stamp for "joke") changes from eyeglasses to a "drama mask"
- 9, 160 -- indicator for "private" changes from the red hand to an envelope with a special seal on it.
I realize that this means that you'll have to take a look at your existing applications that use these icons and see if the new icons still make sense. That's why I'm letting you know now so that you have plenty of time to prepare.
Of course, I also welcome comments.