Did you see that on Nov 17th Oracle announced the availability of Oracle Database 10.2 for Linux on POWER?
They announced support for the Enterprise and Standard Edition of Oracle DB.
Now application developers and customers can use scalable applications that utilize Oracle DB, and still take advantage of the capabilities of POWER5 based servers. This includes full application 64-bit implementations, Advanced POWER Virtualization with micro-partitioning, and the Virtual I/O Server. Using APV and VIOS, you can consolidate a firewall server, Web server, application server, and database server into one POWER5 system. This can even be done on a small System p5 or OpenPower server!
Oracle also announced the availability of Oracle Database 10g Client Release 2 and Oracle Clusterware Release 2.
Oracle Clusterware can be used when creating a Linux cluster solution. Linux clusters are becoming popular as a method to provide a high-performance, low-cost data warehousing solution.
Information on this announcement, including some of the features and advantages, can be found in the awareness white paper:
Oracle Database 10g Release 2 for Linux on POWER - Awareness document
(click on the Full text white paper - View Arcobat link)
Oracle provides downloads at the Oracle Database 10g Downloads Web site:
Select Oracle Database 10g Release 2 (10.2.0.1.0) for Linux on Power New! (17-Nov-05)
This will give you access to downloads for the following:
- Oracle Database 10g Release 2 (10.2.0.1.0) Enterprise/Standard Edition for Linux on Power
- Oracle Database 10g Companion CD Release 2 (10.2.0.1.0) for Linux PowerPC
- Oracle Database 10g Client Release 2 (10.2.0.1.0) for Linux PowerPC
- Oracle Clusterware Release 2 (10.2.0.1.0) for Linux PowerPC
You can also follow links from here to the following installation guides and general Oracle Database 10g documentation:
- Release Notes for Linux on POWER
- Quick Installation Guide for Linux on POWER
- Installation Guide for Linux on POWER
- Client Installation Guide for Linux on POWER
The Oracle Database 10g home page includes additional information including Oracle white papers and data sheets:
Oracle Database 10g Release 2 is now available for Linux on POWER ~ Cliff Spinac
lopblogger 270000WWDS 3 Comments 4,418 Visits