A previous post covered an older way of gathering configuration for Visual Configuration Explorer (VCE) using the VCE Headless Runtime, exported from ISA. The newer and preferred approach is to use the IBM Support Assistant Lite data collector, and this will work with WAS 8 (I've also tested this on 7). It does not work on V8.5.
- Download the ISA Lite script: https://www14.software.ibm.com/webapp/iwm/web/preLogin.do?source=swg-isalite&S_PKG=wasunixwin
- Extract the ISA Lite script into the <WAS> root directory.
- Change directory to <WAS>/ISALite. Run runISALite.sh -console with a user that has full permissions to the installed WAS files (the WAS servers can either be started or stopped, it doesn't matter).
- Follow the instructions, selecting WebSphere Application Server (1) > General (1) > VCE Collector (3), and select the deployment manager profile and node.
- Extract the resulting ZIP file and you should find a file named autopdzip/autopd/wasexporter/DMGR.websphere.configuration. Load this file into VCE using the instructions from the article mentioned above. See also http://www.ibm.com/developerworks/websphere/techjournal/0710_supauth/0710_supauth.html