Attention everyone... T minus 17 days to Information on Demand 2009. I can't believe it is almost here!
So for my next IOD post I am going to cover the always popular Bookstore and Support Tools and Resources Demos.
My coworker and fellow blogger, Susan Visser, is the Publishing Program Manager for Information Management. As always, she'll be at the bookstore at IOD ready to point you in the direction of the books you need on your shelf - you know, the ones that will help you out when you've hit a wall programming, or ones that give you tips to get certified, or even the ones about new topics you want to learn about.
Highlights of the IOD 2009 Bookstore include:
- Book signing by Malcolm Gladwell, author of Outliers, Blink and The Tipping Point.
- New IBM Press Books, including the following:
- DB2 pureXML Cookbook: Master the Power of the IBM Hybrid Data Server
- Fine-Tuning the Business of Information Technology: A Practical Guide to Optimizing Your IT Budget
- Dynamic SOA and BPM
- IBM SOA Foundation
- Viral Data in SOA: An Enterprise Pandemic
- The Greening of IT
- and more!
Visit Susan's blog or the IOD Services page for more information about the bookstore.
The Support Tools and Resources Demos are the place to be if you want to learn about IBM Electronic Support (aka IBM eSupport) and the new IBM Support Portal. Learn from the experts who will highlight online Support tools and resources including the Support Knowledge Base, documentation, proactive alerts and notifications, fix pack downloads, the Electronic Service Request tool and more. Plus learn how you can personalize the IBM Support Portal to your products and interests.
Demos are available:
- Thursday 12:30 - Tour, Try and Talk About The New IBM Support Portal (BOF-2838)
- Thursday 1:30 - How can I resolve my problems faster using IBM Electronic Support? (TOD-2643)
For more information about the demos or the Bookstore, visit the IOD Services page.
There is still time to register! Click here for more information.
Oh yes... and here's the tip!
Visit the Skills Hub to pick up a copy of a DB2 Skills DVD packed with resources, games, and software. Visit early because last year these DVDs were gone quickly!
The countdown to Information Management 2010 is on! 15 days to go - I can't believe it!
When you are at the conference, make sure you take time to visit our Conference Bookstore. Rather than tell you about it myself, I'm going to point you to blogs from our book expert, Susan Visser, who has been blogging about this for weeks.
Here are a few blog entries you might be interested in:
Sam Lightstone from the IBM Toronto Lab will be the special guest on Episode 19 of The DB2Night Show on Friday May 28 at 10:00am central. Sam will be talking about his new best-selling book "Making it Big in Software." Sam will discuss what it takes to be successful and how one can accelerate their career in software.
In his book, Sam covers these topics and more:
- Get your next job in software development
- Master the nontechnical skills crucial to your success
- Work the organization to move up rapidly
- Successfully manage your time, projects, and life
- Minimize software project overruns
- Successfully manage your time, projects, and life
- Avoid killer mistakes that could destroy your career
- Move up to "medium-shot", "big-shot", and finally, "visionary"
- Launch your own winning software company
Reserve your studio audience free seat today!
The wait is over! The highly anticipated Data Studio ebook titled Getting started with IBM Data Studio for DB2 is now available. And to top it off... it is FREE!
In this new book, you can:
- Find out what IBM Data Studio can do for you
- Learn everyday data management tasks
- Back up and recover DB2 databases
- Write and debug SQL stored procedures and routines
- Convert existing SQL or procedures to Web services
- Learn more about integrated data management
- Practice using hands-on exercises
Click here to learn more about the Data Studio ebook online and download a copy!
In the summer, there’s nothing better than relaxing outside with a good book. If you are looking for a good book, you might want to check out one of these two well-written and widely praised DB2 books. Each has a slightly different focus… so make sure you pick the one that is right for you.
Book: Understanding DB2: Learning Visually with Examples 2nd Ed
Written by: Raul Chong, Xiaomei Wang, Michael Dang, and Dwaine Snow
Ideal for: anyone moving from another database platform or product to DB2
You’ll get: a wealth of information presented visually in easy-to-understand screenshots, diagrams, charts, and tables
Don’t forget: this book has been fully updated for DB2 9.5
Book: DB2 9 for Linux, Unix, and Windows: DBA Guide, Reference, and Exam Prep 6th Ed
Written by: George Baklarz and Paul Zikopoulos
Ideal for: anyone working with DB2 9 for LUW will want this book on their desk
You’ll get: complete, start-to-finish coverage of DB2 9 administration and development for LUW platforms
Don’t forget: this book also provides exam prep material for the DB2 9 for LUW certification exams
You can find these books and many others at the online Information Management bookstore.
IOD Europe, Middle East & Africa (EMEA) is quickly approaching! Taking place June 3-6 2008 in The Hague, Netherlands, IOD EMEA is the largest and most valuable IBM event in EMEA for Information Management Customers, Prospects, Business Partners and IBM Employees. Some of my team members will be there running exciting events and promotions that I know you won’t want to miss.
Study to Win an iPod® Shuffle™
Take a free Information Management certification exam at IOD EMEA and achieve one of the top four scores daily to win an iPod Shuffle! All Information Management exams qualify, excluding the FileNet exams. Each attendee can only win once. The iPod Shuffles are small (perfect for the gym) and very handy for traveling. To top it off their green colour clearly displays your mastery of Information Management!
FREE Online Practice ExamsIf you are hoping to bring home a Shuffle you should study now to increase your chances of winning! What better way is there to gauge your readiness than with an Information Management practice exam online? And, since we really want you to win, we’re making these exams FREE up to and during the conference (May 18 to June 6). They normally cost $10 USD per exam. Visit ibm.com/software/data/education/cert-assessment.html.
You can also prepare with our online resources. Visit ibm.com/software/data/education/certprep.html
Books galore Our IBM Publications Program Manager, Susan Visser, will be running a bookstore at IOD EMEA and has arranged some book giveaways & meet the author sessions you’ll want to attend.
- IBM Informix Dynamic Server 11, the Next Generation in OLTP Data Server Technology - pick up your free copy outside World Forum Theater immediately following the Data Management featured keynote on Tuesday, 3 June at 12.20
- DB2 VIPER Strikes Again, New Features in DB2 9.5 - pick up your free copy outside World Forum Theater immediately following the Data Management featured keynote on Tuesday 3 June at 12.20
- Enterprise Master Data Management: An SOA Approach to Managing Core Information - pick up your free copy and have the authors sign your book outside World Forum Theater immediately following the Information Platform & Solutions featured keynote on Wednesday, 4 June at 12.20
Please note that there are only a limited number of free books available.
Have fun at IOD EMEA!
Have you been thinking about earning a DB2 9 certification over the next few months? Do you want to validate your skills and increase your earning potential? Then you’ll be interested in the Certify and Save promotion announced today by Information Management Training.
The Certify and Save promotion works like this: buy a DB2 9 certification guide and get a voucher for 50% off the cost of the associated Information Management Professional Certification exam. You’ll save approximately $75 USD with your voucher which easily covers the cost of the certification guide!
Here are the details:
- Buy one of the certification guides available for DB2 9 at any US bookstore (physical store, online store, even our conference bookstore at IDUG North America)
- Sign up for the offer on the promotion registration site or before June 30, 2008
- Receive your promotion qualification email from IBM
- Following the instructions in your qualification email, send proof of book purchase to IBM on or before July 15, 2008
- Receive your professional certification voucher valid for the guide's corresponding exam
- Take the certification exam through Thompson Prometric on or before August 31, 2008, redeem the voucher, and save $75
Here are the available guides and the associated exams:
- Purchase DB2 9 Fundamentals Certification Study Guide by Roger Sanders, ISBN: 1583470727... Receive a voucher for Exam 730: DB2 9 Fundamentals
- Purchase DB2 9 for Linux, UNIX, and Windows Database Administration: Certification Study Guide by Roger Sanders, ISBN: 1583470778... Receive a voucher for Exam 731: DB2 9 DBA for LUW
- Purchase DB2 9 for z/OS Database Administration: Certification Study Guide by Susan Lawson, ISBN: 1583470743... Receive a voucher for Exam 732: DB2 9 DBA for z/OS
I’m really excited about this promotion because it is a practical and cost-effective way to earn a DB2 9 certification. Plus, the certification guides are useful resources to keep at your desk following the exam if you ever need to refresh a concept or skill.
For more information about the Certify and Save promotion, visit ibm.com/software/data/education/voucher.html. From this site you can read more about the promotion, listen to a podcast about the offer, and download a PDF with all the promotion details.
So… get studying!
P.S. Before your exam, you can test your skills with an assessment exam available for only $10 USD – visit ibm.com/software/data/education/cert-assessment.html for more information.
If you work with a relational database, you might be interested in checking out the IBM Database Magazine. Previously DB2 Magazine, this magazine and website provides tons of useful information about DB2, Informix, U2, Application Development, Analytics, Content & Discovery, and (where I contribute) Skills & Education.
The site contains useful and current information about a wide variety of database topics. If you want to be the first to know about the latest database news, you can subscribe to the magazine. You have the choice of the quarterly print edition, the monthly e-newsletter, and/or the quarterly digital edition (same content as the print edition… just digital).
If you crave even more database information or want to contribute some of your own, join the IBM Database Magazine Wiki for the Information Management user community. You’ll find tips, tricks, tools, and solutions from other members of the community.
I hope you find this resource useful. Visit IBM Database Magazine at www.ibmdatabasemag.com.
IBM Press has just announced a great discount on some new and popular Information Management books. If you order now you’ll get a 35% discount on books, PLUS free ground shipping if you live in the continental US.
The books include:
- Mining the Talk: Unlocking the Business Value in Unstructured Information
- DB2 9 for Linux, UNIX, and Windows: DBA Guide, Reference, and Exam Prep, 6th Edition
- Understanding DB2®: Learning Visually with Examples, 2nd Edition
- Understanding DB2 9 Security
- DB2® SQL PL: Essential Guide for DB2® UDB on Linux™, UNIX®, Windows™, i5/OS™, and z/OS®, 2nd Edition
- An Introduction to IMS™: Your Complete Guide to IBM's Information Management System
- Implementing ITIL Configuration Management
- A Practical Guide to Trusted Computing
- Mainframe Basics for Security Professionals: Getting Started with RACF
- Developing Quality Technical Information: A Handbook for Writers and Editors, 2nd Edition
I happen to have DB2 9 for Linux, UNIX, and Windows: DBA Guide, Reference, and Exam Prep (6th Ed.) and Understanding DB2: Learning Visually with Examples sitting right here on my shelf. Both are large books packed with the info you need to get the most from DB2.
At the IBM Press website you’ll also be able to download a free eBook, download IBM DB2 Express-C, and listen to author podcasts. The free eBook is 200 pages in length and discusses topics such as PureXML Storage Engine, Database Security, SQL PL Language Elements, and Mining to Improve Innovation.
To take advantage of this fantastic offer from IBM Press, visit www.ibmpressbooks.com/promotions/promotion.asp?promo=136211