Part of my job is to work with the Information Management Certification Program Manager, Susan Dykman, to get the word out about new and popular certifications. Earning an industry-recognized IBM certification is a great way to validate your skills and keep up-to-date with the latest Data Server products.
DB2 9 certifications have been very popular this year, including DB2 9 Fundamentals (Exam 730), DB2 9 Database Administrator for Linux, UNIX, and Windows (Exam 731), DB2 9 Database Administrator for z/OS (Exam 732), DB2 9 Application Developer (Exam 733), and DB2 9 Advanced Database Administrator for Linux, UNIX, and Windows (Exam 734). Many people have questions, however, about the new upgrade exam for DB2 9 – DB2 9 Database Administrator for Linux, UNIX, and Windows Upgrade (Exam 736). Read on for some information about the upgrade exam and to find out if you qualify.
Upgrade Exams 101
Upgrade Exam 736 allows individuals with a DB2 UDB v8.1 Database Administrator for LUW certification to bypass Exams 730 and 731 when upgrading their certification to DB2 9. However, to maintain the integrity of the certification program, restrictions on who is eligible to take this upgrade exam are necessary. These restrictions include:
- Individuals who took Exam 706 to upgrade from DB2 UDB V7 DBA certification to DB2 UDB V8 DBA certification are not eligible to take Exam 736
- Individuals who attained a DB2 UDB V8.1 DBA certification without taking exam 700 are not eligible to take Exam 736
- Individuals who hold a DB2 UDB V7 DBA certification and did not upgrade to V8 are not eligible to take Exam 736
What does this mean for me?
Check out the list below to find out what exams you need to take to get DBA for LUW certified on DB2 9:
- If you’ve taken Exams 512 & 513 for a DB2 UDB v7.1 DBA certification, you’ll need to take either Exam 700 or 730, and 731
- If you’ve taken Exams 512 & 701 for a DB2 UDB v8.1 DBA, you’ll need to take either Exam 700 or 730, and 731
- If you’ve taken Exams 700 & 701 for a DB2 UDB v8.1 DBA, you’ll need to take either Exam 731 or 736
- If you’ve taken Exams 512, 513, and 706 for a DB2 UDB v8.1 DBA, you’ll need to take either Exam 700 or 730, and 731
- If you’ve never taken a certification exam for DB2, you’ll need to take Exam 730 and 731
If all these numbers are making your head spin, check out the list below to see the corresponding certification for each exam number:
To learn more, visit:Online exam information - ibm.com/certify/tests/test_index_bd.shtmlPrintable exam prep documents - ibm.com/software/data/education/certprep.htmlRoadmaps - ibm.com/software/data/education/cert-roadmaps.html
- Exam 512: DB2 UDB V7.1 Family Fundamentals
- Exam 513: DB2 UDB V7.1 for Linux, UNIX, and Windows Database Administration
- Exam 700: DB2 UDB V8.1 Family Fundamentals
- Exam 701: DB2 UDB V8.1 for Linux, UNIX, and Windows Database Administration
- Exam 706: DB2 UDB V8.1 for Linux, UNIX, and Windows Database Administration Upgrade
- Exam 730: DB2 9 Fundamentals
- Exam 731: DB2 9 DBA for Linux, UNIX and Windows
- Exam 736: DB2 9 Database Administrator for Linux UNIX and Windows Upgrade
For my first entry in this new blog I thought it would be fitting to write about something new to training. You've likely already heard the phrase Instructor-Led Online (ILO), but you may not be familiar with exactly what it is, and why we're so excited about this new way to train.
What is ILO?
To understand ILO, it is helpful to compare it to a traditional online or distance education class. As a recent university grad, I took plenty of distance education classes over the last few years. While they were convenient, I didn't always like feeling so remote from the professor and other students. Instructor-Led Online is as convenient as a distance education course, but also gives you personal interaction with the instructor. Since you take the class on a specific date and time with a group of students, you can ask questions and clarify material as questions arise - there is no need to send an email and wait for a response. Like a distance education class, ILO course content is exactly the same as the classroom version of the course, so you can feel confident that you are learning the same material as students who took the course in the classroom.
Why take an ILO course?
There are many reasons to sign up for an ILO course. I listed some of them above, such as convenience and instructor interaction. Here are some more reasons:
- Go green - ILO eliminates the need to travel, so if you are looking for ways to decrease your carbon footprint, ILO is the way to go.
- Save time - you can take an ILO course from your home or office. All you need is a high-speed internet connection and you're ready to connect.
- Great instructors - ILO courses are taught by the same world-class instructors who teach IBM classroom training.
- Gain skills - training of any kind is an ideal way to build skills in key areas.
- Plenty of choice - with over 30 ILO courses currently being offered for Information Management, you have a variety of courses to choose from.
- Hands-on Labs - to reinforce what you learn, most ILO courses feature hands-on lab work available for the duration of the course.
If you want to get more information on ILO, check out ibm.com/software/data/education/ilo.html. You'll find an ILO demo, a recently recorded podcast, an ILO 101 data sheet and more.
I hope this has provided you some insight about ILO. If you have any other questions, send a comment and I'll do my best to find you an answer.
The International Informix Users Group (IIUG) Conference is rapidly approaching! The conference is taking place May 15-18 at the Overland Park Marriott in Kansas. Members of our Information Management Support Team will be at the event and look forward to speaking with you about our Support tools and offerings at the Support kiosk.
Our Support team will also be hosting two tutorials as part of the Pre-Conference Tutorials on Sunday May 15th. Sign up for these tutorials to learn valuable information about Informix directly from our world-class Support experts.
Certification Preparation for Informix version 11.70 (Available 8:30am or 10:30am)
Taught by Sanjit Chakraborty, Advanced Technical Support Engineer, IBM
Are you considering taking new certification test for Informix 11.70? The Informix Certification Prep can help you to reach your certification goal. The Informix Certification Prep is the ultimate source to prepare for the Informix 11.70 System Administrator Test 000-919. Attend this tutorial session for everything you want to know about the Informix certification exam 919. It will cover the following:
- Exam Preparation Strategies
- Exam score structure
- Recommended Skills
- Topics and study materials for success
- Sample questions
Informix Certification Prep will build your confidence by evaluating your knowledge and skills prior to taking the actual exam. Participate in this tutorial and you'll be well on your way to that much sought after perfect exam score!
Troubleshooting Informix 11.7
, Sunday All Day Tutorial (8:30 AM - 4:30 PM)
Primary speaker: Hyun-Ju Vega, Informix Advanced Support Engineer, IBM
Additional speakers: Mark Jamison, Ron Privett, Darin Tracy, IBM
Discover troubleshooting techniques that will assist you or your clients in debugging issues on Informix 11.7. Areas of focus will include:
- Isolating Problems
- Memory and Backup/Restore
Hyun-Ju Vega is an Advanced Support engineer on the APD team in IBM Informix Technical Support. During Hyun-Ju's thirteen years with Informix Support, she has specialized in engine diagnostics and support feature work in Archive/Restore and SQL areas. Active in IDS RAS projects, she can speak with expertise on subjects relating to IDS backup and restore, performance, and diagnostics.
To learn more about these tutorials and sign up, click here!
You asked for it, and now it's here again! The Assess and Save offer is back!
If you purchase and PASS an Information Management Online Assessment Test between now and May 31, 2011, you will receive a 50% off certification voucher good for the corresponding exam. That's right, you'll save $100 USD! Your voucher will be valid until July 31, 2011.
Assessment tests are available for every Information Management Professional Certification Exam. These "practice tests" allow you to test your readiness for a minimal fee, helping you to be successful on exam day. Click here to take an Assessment test.
Learn more about the Assess and Save offer!
Have you ever attended a Chat with the Lab? If not, you've been missing out! These chats provide you with the opportunity to learn from the experts behind outstanding product improvements and upgrades directly from the IBM Software Labs. Since I work out of an IBM Lab, I see these people daily and I assure you -- they may look just like you or me, but they can certainly provide some incredible insights and information about our new products that are unique to our IT Specialists.
Plan to attend the next chat: Upgrading to Informix 11.7. This chat is taking place on Thursday March 17 from 11:30-13:00 EDT (GMT-05:00) / 10:30 am Central / 8:30 am Pacific / 16:30hrs London / 17:30hrs Frankfurt, Paris / India 10PM.
IBM IT Specialist, William Wheeler, will provide a view of the important aspects involved in upgrading to Informix 11.7, including:
- Upgrading: plan, review and plan again: Questions and options for answers
- Upgrading in place
- Migrating across platforms, codepages, and page sizes
- Data movement utilities and when to use them
- Using distributed queries
Jerry Keesee, Director of the Informix Lab, will introduce the call.
Register for this event today!
To kick off my first post of 2011 (sorry I'm a bit late!), I thought I'd share some information about the newest Informix certification role -- IBM Certified System Administrator - Informix 11.70. Earning this certification requires passing the Informix 11.70 System Administrator (Test 000-919) exam.
To successfully complete this exam, you will need to answer questions to certify that you have the knowledge, skills, and abilities necessary to install, administer and tune, configure, monitor, and troubleshoot Informix 11.70. For this reason, significant experience with intermediate or advanced level skills as an Informix v11.70 system/database administrator is a recommended ore-requisite.
Breaking it down!
The exam itself consists of 63 questions in 90 minutes. You need to achieve 60% to pass. Here are the exam objectives and the weighting of each objective:
- Section 1 - Installation and Configuration (12.5%)
- Section 2 - Space Management (19%)
- Section 3 - System Activity Monitoring and Troubleshooting (14%)
- Section 4 - Performance Tuning (16%)
- Section 5 - Backup and Restore (8%)
- Section 6 - Replication and High Availability (10%)
- Section 7 - Warehousing (8%)
- Section 8 - Security (12.5%)
You can find more detailed information about the exam breakdown by clicking here
Prepare to Pass!
Get yourself ready to pass this exam by enrolling in recommended training courses (available in traditional classroom or online), take the FREE IBM Informix Dynamic Server 11 System Administration Certification Preparation Tutorial Series, or visit the IBM® Informix® 11.70 Information Center.
Find more information
Click to learn more about the IBM Certified System Administrator - Informix 11.70 certification role. Click to learn more about the Informix 11.70 System Administrator (Test 000-919) exam.
I've been hearing great things about the Information On Demand Conference -- and I was happy to be able to see what's going on in the world of Services, Education, and Support today with the release of new IOD videos. Click the links below to view the videos:
The Information on Demand Conference is under way! This morning, I was excited to be able to watch the opening keynote live on my computer! There are many ways to connect with the event from home. Check out my suggestions below:
- On the IOD GC website, you can watch streaming video of the conference throughout the day. See the EXPO, listen to keynote speeches, watch interviews with key IBMers and IOD attendees.
- Follow the event on Twitter, using hashtag #iodgc or #baforum. If you want to follow our Services, Education, and Support activities specifically, follow hashtag #iodskills.
- Connect with all conference social media at the conference website.
- Attend Information On Demand Virtual 2010 -- the next best thing to being at the conference! Register early to gain access to two virtual events on November 17 and December 15 at no charge. You will see the top five sessions from IOD, catch highlights of keynotes and general session and chat live with IBM experts, without ever leaving your desk. These focused virtual sessions will provide the latest trends and industry strategies. Doors open at 12:30PM EST and scheduled sessions begin promptly at 1:00PM EST.
On November 17, you can:
- Attend webcasts of the top five sessions at IOD Global Conference 2010
- Participate in a chat session with IBM experts
- Experience the IOD Global Conference 2010 General Session presentations on demand….at your leisure
- Get valuable reference documentation from the Resource Center
On December 15, you can:
- Attend webcasts featuring IBM customer success stories
- Experience the November 17 event on demand…at your leisure
Click here to sign up for Information On Demand Virtual 2010!
For those of you at the event, I hope you are having a productive, informative, and fun experience. And, for those like me who are attending from home, I hope you find the links I've shared useful.
As a new part of my job this year, I started working closely with our IM Software Services team. I am constantly impressed by the wide variety of solutions these experts provide for our clients, and I am happy to say you will be able to talk to some of these experts in person at Information on Demand 2010!
If you aren't familiar with our IM Software Services team, here is a quick overview:
The IM Software Services team is comprised of a worldwide group 700+ industry and technology experts who can work as your technology and business partners to help you achieve successful implementation and deployment of your software solution. This team will help you maximize business benefits, mitigate risk, and maximize your return on investment. This of IM Software Services as the “heart surgeons" when it comes to IM Software engagements.
How we help you succeed:
When implementing an Information Management solution it is critical to have an experienced team involved to ensure you achieve the results you want the first time -- through a proven, low risk delivery approach. The Information Management Services team has the capabilities to meet a diverse set of needs, and is ready to deliver your Information Management solution in an efficient and cost effective manner to accelerate your Return On Investment. We offer a broad and flexible range of planning, custom education, design engineering, implementation and solution support services. Our consultants have deep technical knowledge, industry skills, and delivery experience from thousands of engagements worldwide.
To meet with our Services experts to discuss how they can help you, visit the Services, Education, and Support Hub in the EXPO, booth 504.
The IM Software Services team will also be in the Business Partner Cafe at IOD discussing our popular Guardian offering. Our Guardian solution is particularly useful for clients who:
- Are trying to deliver an Information Management (IM) solution within a tight budget and may not have the right skills, experience, and solution expertise to ensure it’s done successfully
- Are planning an implementation with new or recently released Information Management software that the client is unfamiliar with and need best practices and guidance to develop an efficient plan that will maximize the use of IM technology
- Are facing project risks associated with the overall solution environment the client is working in and finding challenges with approaching the integration of multiple, complex technologies
The Business Partner Cafe is located in Bayside D in the Expo Center, open Monday and Tuesday, 10:30 AM – 5:00 PM, Wednesday, 10:00 AM – 3:30 PM
Looking forward to hearing about IOD this week! Look for a blog about how to connect with the event from home to be posted on Monday! You can also follow us on Twitter using hashtag #iodskills
For our overview of Electronic Support at IOD, I'm happy to be able to share a blog from our eSupport team!
Vegas BABY!! Information On Demand!!
It’s that time of the year again when all Information Management and Business Analytics experts come together and share their knowledge with colleagues. Are you going? Bill Maciver, Bob Haataia, and Mandee Ross will be there helping you get started with our online technical support tools. Are you already aware and using our online tools, but still have questions? Enhance your online technical support knowledge and increase you skill level by attending one of the following IBM Electronic Support sessions.
- Expo Ped #504 (Personalized mini-sessions – Take control): Make this your personalized mini-session. No appointment required and no formal presentation or demonstration. Take control of your online support session with an interactive demo of the Support Portal, My Notifications, Fix Central, IBM Support Assistant, Service Request and more.
Available in the EXPO Hall at the following times:
- Sunday, October 24, 6:00 PM - 8:00 PM
- Monday, October 25, 12:30 PM - 2:00 PM, 5:00 PM - 7:00 PM
- Tuesday, October 26, 12:30 PM - 2:00 PM, 5:00 PM - 7:00 PM
- Wednesday, October 27 12:30 PM - 3:30 PM
- Sign up for session # 3864- "See How the IBM Support Portal Can Work for You“: Join us for a live demo of the IBM Support Portal. See how it brings all online technical support resources for IBM hardware and software together in one place. Learn how it lets you troubleshoot multiple products in combination, refine searches to pinpoint information quickly, and personalize pages to the way you work.
Here are the details:
- Presenter: Bob Haataia, Electronic Support Customer adoption Lead
- Day: Sunday, October 24th, 2010
- Time: 7:00 p.m.
- Location: IBM EXPO Theater by AVL Lounge
- Session: 3864
- Sign up for session # 3839 - "See How the IBM Support Portal Can Work for You“: Join us for a live demo of the IBM Support Portal. See how it brings all online technical support resources for IBM hardware and software together in one place. Learn how it lets you troubleshoot multiple products in combination, refine searches to pinpoint information quickly, and personalize pages to the way you work.
Here are the details:
- Presenter: Bill Maciver, Sr Mgr Electronic Support
- Day: Tuesday, October 26th, 2010
- Time: 2:00 pm
- Location: IBM EXPO Theater by AVL Lounge
- Session: 3839
- Sign-up for session # BOF-2354A - "Your Support Experience – Customized": Tour, Try and Talk About The New IBM Support Portal. Join us for a live demo and discussion about the new IBM Support Portal. Learn how the IBM Support Portal brings all on-line support resources for IBM hardware and software offerings together in one place. We will explore how the portal lets you troubleshoot multiple products in combination, refine searches to pinpoint the exact information you need, and personalize the pages to reflect the way you work. This is a unique opportunity to share your feedback with our expert to further enhance your user experience.
Here are the details:
- Presenter: Mandee Ross, Electronic Support Project Manager
- Day: Thursday, October 28th, 2010
- Time: 01:00 PM - 01:45 PM
- Location: Mandalay Bay South Convention Center - Mandalay Bay J
- Session: 2354A
You can also keep up with Electronic Support on Twitter using hash tag id #iodES. If you haven't registered for IOD, there's still time! Click here to register.