The International Informix Users Group (IIUG) Conference is rapidly approaching! The conference is taking place May 15-18 at the Overland Park Marriott in Kansas. Members of our Information Management Support Team will be at the event and look forward to speaking with you about our Support tools and offerings at the Support kiosk.
Our Support team will also be hosting two tutorials as part of the Pre-Conference Tutorials on Sunday May 15th. Sign up for these tutorials to learn valuable information about Informix directly from our world-class Support experts.
Certification Preparation for Informix version 11.70 (Available 8:30am or 10:30am)
Taught by Sanjit Chakraborty, Advanced Technical Support Engineer, IBM
Are you considering taking new certification test for Informix 11.70? The Informix Certification Prep can help you to reach your certification goal. The Informix Certification Prep is the ultimate source to prepare for the Informix 11.70 System Administrator Test 000-919. Attend this tutorial session for everything you want to know about the Informix certification exam 919. It will cover the following:
- Exam Preparation Strategies
- Exam score structure
- Recommended Skills
- Topics and study materials for success
- Sample questions
Informix Certification Prep will build your confidence by evaluating your knowledge and skills prior to taking the actual exam. Participate in this tutorial and you'll be well on your way to that much sought after perfect exam score!
Troubleshooting Informix 11.7
, Sunday All Day Tutorial (8:30 AM - 4:30 PM)
Primary speaker: Hyun-Ju Vega, Informix Advanced Support Engineer, IBM
Additional speakers: Mark Jamison, Ron Privett, Darin Tracy, IBM
Discover troubleshooting techniques that will assist you or your clients in debugging issues on Informix 11.7. Areas of focus will include:
- Isolating Problems
- Memory and Backup/Restore
Hyun-Ju Vega is an Advanced Support engineer on the APD team in IBM Informix Technical Support. During Hyun-Ju's thirteen years with Informix Support, she has specialized in engine diagnostics and support feature work in Archive/Restore and SQL areas. Active in IDS RAS projects, she can speak with expertise on subjects relating to IDS backup and restore, performance, and diagnostics.
To learn more about these tutorials and sign up, click here!
You asked for it, and now it's here again! The Assess and Save offer is back!
If you purchase and PASS an Information Management Online Assessment Test between now and May 31, 2011, you will receive a 50% off certification voucher good for the corresponding exam. That's right, you'll save $100 USD! Your voucher will be valid until July 31, 2011.
Assessment tests are available for every Information Management Professional Certification Exam. These "practice tests" allow you to test your readiness for a minimal fee, helping you to be successful on exam day. Click here to take an Assessment test.
Learn more about the Assess and Save offer!
Have you ever attended a Chat with the Lab? If not, you've been missing out! These chats provide you with the opportunity to learn from the experts behind outstanding product improvements and upgrades directly from the IBM Software Labs. Since I work out of an IBM Lab, I see these people daily and I assure you -- they may look just like you or me, but they can certainly provide some incredible insights and information about our new products that are unique to our IT Specialists.
Plan to attend the next chat: Upgrading to Informix 11.7. This chat is taking place on Thursday March 17 from 11:30-13:00 EDT (GMT-05:00) / 10:30 am Central / 8:30 am Pacific / 16:30hrs London / 17:30hrs Frankfurt, Paris / India 10PM.
IBM IT Specialist, William Wheeler, will provide a view of the important aspects involved in upgrading to Informix 11.7, including:
- Upgrading: plan, review and plan again: Questions and options for answers
- Upgrading in place
- Migrating across platforms, codepages, and page sizes
- Data movement utilities and when to use them
- Using distributed queries
Jerry Keesee, Director of the Informix Lab, will introduce the call.
Register for this event today!
To kick off my first post of 2011 (sorry I'm a bit late!), I thought I'd share some information about the newest Informix certification role -- IBM Certified System Administrator - Informix 11.70. Earning this certification requires passing the Informix 11.70 System Administrator (Test 000-919) exam.
To successfully complete this exam, you will need to answer questions to certify that you have the knowledge, skills, and abilities necessary to install, administer and tune, configure, monitor, and troubleshoot Informix 11.70. For this reason, significant experience with intermediate or advanced level skills as an Informix v11.70 system/database administrator is a recommended ore-requisite.
Breaking it down!
The exam itself consists of 63 questions in 90 minutes. You need to achieve 60% to pass. Here are the exam objectives and the weighting of each objective:
- Section 1 - Installation and Configuration (12.5%)
- Section 2 - Space Management (19%)
- Section 3 - System Activity Monitoring and Troubleshooting (14%)
- Section 4 - Performance Tuning (16%)
- Section 5 - Backup and Restore (8%)
- Section 6 - Replication and High Availability (10%)
- Section 7 - Warehousing (8%)
- Section 8 - Security (12.5%)
You can find more detailed information about the exam breakdown by clicking here
Prepare to Pass!
Get yourself ready to pass this exam by enrolling in recommended training courses (available in traditional classroom or online), take the FREE IBM Informix Dynamic Server 11 System Administration Certification Preparation Tutorial Series, or visit the IBM® Informix® 11.70 Information Center.
Find more information
Click to learn more about the IBM Certified System Administrator - Informix 11.70 certification role. Click to learn more about the Informix 11.70 System Administrator (Test 000-919) exam.
I've been hearing great things about the Information On Demand Conference -- and I was happy to be able to see what's going on in the world of Services, Education, and Support today with the release of new IOD videos. Click the links below to view the videos:
The Information on Demand Conference is under way! This morning, I was excited to be able to watch the opening keynote live on my computer! There are many ways to connect with the event from home. Check out my suggestions below:
- On the IOD GC website, you can watch streaming video of the conference throughout the day. See the EXPO, listen to keynote speeches, watch interviews with key IBMers and IOD attendees.
- Follow the event on Twitter, using hashtag #iodgc or #baforum. If you want to follow our Services, Education, and Support activities specifically, follow hashtag #iodskills.
- Connect with all conference social media at the conference website.
- Attend Information On Demand Virtual 2010 -- the next best thing to being at the conference! Register early to gain access to two virtual events on November 17 and December 15 at no charge. You will see the top five sessions from IOD, catch highlights of keynotes and general session and chat live with IBM experts, without ever leaving your desk. These focused virtual sessions will provide the latest trends and industry strategies. Doors open at 12:30PM EST and scheduled sessions begin promptly at 1:00PM EST.
On November 17, you can:
- Attend webcasts of the top five sessions at IOD Global Conference 2010
- Participate in a chat session with IBM experts
- Experience the IOD Global Conference 2010 General Session presentations on demand….at your leisure
- Get valuable reference documentation from the Resource Center
On December 15, you can:
- Attend webcasts featuring IBM customer success stories
- Experience the November 17 event on demand…at your leisure
Click here to sign up for Information On Demand Virtual 2010!
For those of you at the event, I hope you are having a productive, informative, and fun experience. And, for those like me who are attending from home, I hope you find the links I've shared useful.
As a new part of my job this year, I started working closely with our IM Software Services team. I am constantly impressed by the wide variety of solutions these experts provide for our clients, and I am happy to say you will be able to talk to some of these experts in person at Information on Demand 2010!
If you aren't familiar with our IM Software Services team, here is a quick overview:
The IM Software Services team is comprised of a worldwide group 700+ industry and technology experts who can work as your technology and business partners to help you achieve successful implementation and deployment of your software solution. This team will help you maximize business benefits, mitigate risk, and maximize your return on investment. This of IM Software Services as the “heart surgeons" when it comes to IM Software engagements.
How we help you succeed:
When implementing an Information Management solution it is critical to have an experienced team involved to ensure you achieve the results you want the first time -- through a proven, low risk delivery approach. The Information Management Services team has the capabilities to meet a diverse set of needs, and is ready to deliver your Information Management solution in an efficient and cost effective manner to accelerate your Return On Investment. We offer a broad and flexible range of planning, custom education, design engineering, implementation and solution support services. Our consultants have deep technical knowledge, industry skills, and delivery experience from thousands of engagements worldwide.
To meet with our Services experts to discuss how they can help you, visit the Services, Education, and Support Hub in the EXPO, booth 504.
The IM Software Services team will also be in the Business Partner Cafe at IOD discussing our popular Guardian offering. Our Guardian solution is particularly useful for clients who:
- Are trying to deliver an Information Management (IM) solution within a tight budget and may not have the right skills, experience, and solution expertise to ensure it’s done successfully
- Are planning an implementation with new or recently released Information Management software that the client is unfamiliar with and need best practices and guidance to develop an efficient plan that will maximize the use of IM technology
- Are facing project risks associated with the overall solution environment the client is working in and finding challenges with approaching the integration of multiple, complex technologies
The Business Partner Cafe is located in Bayside D in the Expo Center, open Monday and Tuesday, 10:30 AM – 5:00 PM, Wednesday, 10:00 AM – 3:30 PM
Looking forward to hearing about IOD this week! Look for a blog about how to connect with the event from home to be posted on Monday! You can also follow us on Twitter using hashtag #iodskills
For our overview of Electronic Support at IOD, I'm happy to be able to share a blog from our eSupport team!
Vegas BABY!! Information On Demand!!
It’s that time of the year again when all Information Management and Business Analytics experts come together and share their knowledge with colleagues. Are you going? Bill Maciver, Bob Haataia, and Mandee Ross will be there helping you get started with our online technical support tools. Are you already aware and using our online tools, but still have questions? Enhance your online technical support knowledge and increase you skill level by attending one of the following IBM Electronic Support sessions.
- Expo Ped #504 (Personalized mini-sessions – Take control): Make this your personalized mini-session. No appointment required and no formal presentation or demonstration. Take control of your online support session with an interactive demo of the Support Portal, My Notifications, Fix Central, IBM Support Assistant, Service Request and more.
Available in the EXPO Hall at the following times:
- Sunday, October 24, 6:00 PM - 8:00 PM
- Monday, October 25, 12:30 PM - 2:00 PM, 5:00 PM - 7:00 PM
- Tuesday, October 26, 12:30 PM - 2:00 PM, 5:00 PM - 7:00 PM
- Wednesday, October 27 12:30 PM - 3:30 PM
- Sign up for session # 3864- "See How the IBM Support Portal Can Work for You“: Join us for a live demo of the IBM Support Portal. See how it brings all online technical support resources for IBM hardware and software together in one place. Learn how it lets you troubleshoot multiple products in combination, refine searches to pinpoint information quickly, and personalize pages to the way you work.
Here are the details:
- Presenter: Bob Haataia, Electronic Support Customer adoption Lead
- Day: Sunday, October 24th, 2010
- Time: 7:00 p.m.
- Location: IBM EXPO Theater by AVL Lounge
- Session: 3864
- Sign up for session # 3839 - "See How the IBM Support Portal Can Work for You“: Join us for a live demo of the IBM Support Portal. See how it brings all online technical support resources for IBM hardware and software together in one place. Learn how it lets you troubleshoot multiple products in combination, refine searches to pinpoint information quickly, and personalize pages to the way you work.
Here are the details:
- Presenter: Bill Maciver, Sr Mgr Electronic Support
- Day: Tuesday, October 26th, 2010
- Time: 2:00 pm
- Location: IBM EXPO Theater by AVL Lounge
- Session: 3839
- Sign-up for session # BOF-2354A - "Your Support Experience – Customized": Tour, Try and Talk About The New IBM Support Portal. Join us for a live demo and discussion about the new IBM Support Portal. Learn how the IBM Support Portal brings all on-line support resources for IBM hardware and software offerings together in one place. We will explore how the portal lets you troubleshoot multiple products in combination, refine searches to pinpoint the exact information you need, and personalize the pages to reflect the way you work. This is a unique opportunity to share your feedback with our expert to further enhance your user experience.
Here are the details:
- Presenter: Mandee Ross, Electronic Support Project Manager
- Day: Thursday, October 28th, 2010
- Time: 01:00 PM - 01:45 PM
- Location: Mandalay Bay South Convention Center - Mandalay Bay J
- Session: 2354A
You can also keep up with Electronic Support on Twitter using hash tag id #iodES. If you haven't registered for IOD, there's still time! Click here to register.
With IOD less than a week away, I can start to feel the excitement building here at the Toronto Lab and on our social media channels. The conference is shaping up to be better than ever -- and our Services, Education, and Support Hub is no exception!
So... you my be wondering "what exactly is the Hub and why should I make sure to stop by for a visit?" I'm glad you asked. The Services, Education, and Support Hub is the SINGLE location at IOD to connect with our Information Management Experts. They will be at the Hub, ready, willing, and able to answer any and all of your Services, Education, and Support questions. The Hub is located in the EXPO, booth 504, next to the Developer's Den and is open during the regular EXPO hours. Here are a few examples of questions I'd like to ask the experts at The Hub.
- Do you have any new eLearning options for Training? I want to take a course in the next few months but I need to keep my schedule flexible and I do not have budget to travel.
- I have heard about the IBM Education Pack. How would my company benefit from this?
- What are the latest certification exams?
- How can I get my unique eLearning access code to take my complimentary self-paced eLearning class?
- AND MORE!
- What is IM Software Services?
- I will be working on a large migration project next year. Why should I encourage my management team to use IM Services for this migration?
- Who do I talk to if I want to engage IM Software Services on a project?
- AND MORE!
- I've been hearing about your IBM Support Portal. Can you show me how it works and how I can customize it?
- Are there new Support tools that can make my job easier?
- I've heard about the Technical Support Chat pilot
- AND MORE!
Don't miss this great opportunity to discuss your Services, Education, and Support questions, challenges, and successes 1:1 with an expert. Start thinking of your questions today so you are ready to jump start your IOD experience with a visit to the Hub.
Plan to stop by The Hub, located in the EXPO, booth 504, next to the Developer's Den! For more information, click here.
The countdown to Information Management 2010 is on! 15 days to go - I can't believe it!
When you are at the conference, make sure you take time to visit our Conference Bookstore. Rather than tell you about it myself, I'm going to point you to blogs from our book expert, Susan Visser, who has been blogging about this for weeks.
Here are a few blog entries you might be interested in: