We've got some very exciting news on the mobile front! Sametime 8.5.2 is now available on the Google Android mobile device! That means you can now have many of the features that you've come to know and expect from Sametime on your desktop or laptop computer on your Android. This includes:
- Using Sametime awareness and chat features.
- Tapping and holding a contact or group
name to display a list of options.
- Adding and removing contacts and groups
to and from your contact list.
- Reviewing mobile chat histories.
- Sending telephone camera photos through Sametime chats.
you have Samtime Unified Telephony on your device, you can place Sametime
calls to contacts or people you find using the Sametime search. You can also change your preferred Sametime device to route calls to
The Sametime documentation group has just produced a new video. It shows how to set up your IBM Sametime 8.5.2 client for conference
calls that use your
computer's audio and video. It also shows how to start a conference call
from within a
Sametime meeting room and gives an overview of some of the call controls that might be available to you.
Using your computer's audio and video capabilities for conference calls is a great feature, so we hope
that you find this video helpful.
It takes about five minutes to view it. Also, if you watch the video in "full screen", you'll be better able to see the table of contents in the left-hand navigator.
Download a free 90-day trial version of IBM® Lotus® Sametime® 7.5.1. This version extends IBM's award-winning and market-leading instant messaging and Web conferencing solution by introducing new capabilities that include point-to-point video, integration with desktop productivity applications, a tabbed chat interface, client support for Macintosh users, and server support for the Linux® operating system.
Lotus Sametime V7.5.1 is a platform for unified communications and collaboration, combining security features with an extensible, open solution that includes integrated Voice over IP, geographic location awareness, mobile clients, and a robust Business Partner community offering telephony and video integration.
Here are some of the exciting new features you'll find in 7.5.1 over 7.5:
- Tabbed Chat - the number 1 request from 7.5. We are providing both horizontal and vertical layout options for a tabs for all of your active chats in a single chat window. If you choose the vertical layout and make the width of the tab column narrow, you can see user photos instead of text names on the tabs.
- Save Emoticons with a right click over the image in the chat transcript - add them directly to your favorite emoticon palette.
- One-on-one Video! - that's right - get yourself a webcam and start video with your Sametime contacts,
- Screen capture annotation - this extends my favorite Sametime feature even further! You can now draw annotations on the captured screen before sending it to your chat partner! Grab a piece of the screen using the screen capture tool icon in the message compose toolbar of the chat window, capture the part of the screen you wish to send, and then click and drag to draw red text on the captured image.
- Chat history search - search across all of your chat history transcripts to find specific text
- Multi-person chat history - now both one and one and multi-party chats can automatically be saved in the chat history, and searched as well
- Spell check entire message at once - not only do typos get highlighted inline, if you want to run a spell check against an entire message at once, like in Notes, you can do it. This is an accessibility improvement based on usability testing as well.
- Plug-in scalability - did the novelty of some contact list plug-ins you installed wear off? Now you can easily toggle the contact list mini-app panels on and off using the View Menu>Application Panels> toggles.
- Expand All/Collapse All - like views in notes, expand and collapse all groups in your contact list from the View menu, or keyboard shortcuts Ctrl+(+) and Ctrl+ (-)
- Primary Contacts - a new contact list plug-in ships with 7.5.1 to let you drag your favorite contacts in and see their photos in the contact list. Choose to see large, medium, or small images, or just a text list.
- Edit your language used for spell checking - if your administrator makes the language files available to you, you can copy them into the plugins directory of the Sametime install location on your computer, then open the Sametime Preferences UI from the client and select a new spell check language under the Spell Checking preferences section.
- Contact list scrub tool - a tool to help you remove contacts you haven't chatted with in a while to clean up your contact list.
I have some questions for our fans of the Primary Contacts panel:
Do you use the panel instead of the main contact list, or as a supplement to it?
How would you feel if we integrated primary contacts as one of multiple views of your contacts which you could select, to display in the single contact panel, to save some space for your other plug-in panels?
Do you like having primary contacts as a second view that can be seen at the same time as your full contact list?
Starting in 8.5.2, you can choose different alerting options for new chats and responses to existing chats:
You can use this feature to help you differentiate between new conversations and responses to ongoing conversations.
Today is the last day for our fabulous intern, Linda Le, who is heading back to school for a Master's degree in Human-Computer Interaction from Carnegie Mellon. Linda's been working with the Sametime design team for the past six months, and has been a terrifically hard worker and a great source for creative ideas.
Best of luck at school, Linda! We'll miss you!
Hey, Sametime Meetings users. :-)
Sametime 8.5.2 introduced an End Meeting button for the room owner:
Right now, when you click that button, it kicks out everyone *but you*. Is this the behavior you expect? It allows you to run back-to-back meetings in the same room... but it does mean you have to take an extra step to leave the room yourself (i.e., close the window).
What do you think?
I've recently switched to using a MacBook as my primary machine, instead of a PC -- it's great to be able to switch over so easily, since all my IBM products work in either environment.
How many of you are also using Macs? What's the reach of Macs in your organizations?
Any thoughts regarding the user experience of Sametime on a Mac? Any changes you'd like to see?
Just curious, how many of you use the nested groups feature in the contact list? If so, how many groups have "subgroups" and how many levels of subgroups is the most that one of your top level groups has?
-Joe (Sametime Design)
I'm Lauren and I'm on the Sametime documentation team.
As many of you know, Sametime 8.5.2 supports widgets and recognized names and numbers (live text). We have some Help about these features in the Sametime Standard and Sametime Entry online Help. But, we wanted you to know that we've now posted to the Sametime wiki
additional end user, power user, and administrator documentation about widgets and live text. We hope you find it useful!
Hello, Sametime Design Blog followers! I wanted to let you know that I'm now blogging on the IBM Sametime blog:
Please look for new entries there!
Do you use online polling in meetings? If so, I have a few questions for you:
1) How often do you use online polling? In what types of meetings?
2) Do you ever use the same question over and over again? If so, in what context?
3) Right now, our polling tools support anonymous responses only. How critical is it to you to see who entered which response?
4) Do you have need from an online meeting tool to tie multiple polling questions together, into more of a survey format?
5) Anything else you'd like to us to know about your use of polls in meetings?
Thanks in advance for your thoughts!
For Sametime 8.5.2, we've changed the default for launching instant meetings, to make it even faster for you to access meetings when you need to.
Now, in preferences, the default setting for whether to open a dialog when you click to start an instant meeting is OFF:
In Sametime 8.5.2, there are a number of new server configuration settings that you can use to control your deployment:
Whether managed access is required:
meeting.managedAccess.override (default: 0 or off)
How long people are locked out of rooms after ejection:
rtc4web.ejectionTimeout (default: 300 seconds)
Whether meeting rooms will open in a new window or tab:
meetingroomcenter.openRoomInNewWindow (default: true)
Multiple protocol proxy confirmation:
Whether guests can join meetings on this server:
meetingroom.allowGuestAccess (default: 1 or true)
In addition, there are two new user policies:
- Allow Meeting Room Polls (default: enabled)
Allow Annotations of Uploaded Content (default: enabled)
Meetings users -- did you know that you can easily remove content from your room? Here are some tips:
1. For a quick way to remove all content (discussion and library content) from a room, choose the Remove Room Content command from the Room Tools menu.
2. To remove just the discussion content, click the "x" in the bottom of the discussion widget (only room owners and managers have access to this). If you're on the installed client, you can still get back to the chat content later by creating a meeting report:
3. To remove all content just from the library, in the installed client, right-click anywhere in the library and choose Remove All. You'll be prompted before the content is removed.
For future releases, we're looking at giving you a choice when you end a meeting to also clear out the content. Would you like such a choice? Let me know!