Well, I've posted here about JRS and XQuery which has proven to be very interesting as a query language over our RDF indexes. Today I'd like to discuss our prototype using SPARQL. Basically we built a Python server and used the very cool RDFLib implementation to allow us to store the same indexes and experiment with SPARQL queries over them. Here's a few of our initial (and non-scientific) results
- The queries seemed easier to write, though the jury is out on which language is easier to read.
- Mapping the JRS URL-encoded query to SPARQL was far more straightforward than the equivalent translation to XQuery.
- Obviously the fact that the query language and data share a common data model makes the query more logical.
Obviously we didn't compare performance, but one thing is clear while the major database vendors are scrambling over themselves to support XML there's no one talking openly about SPARQL. This is definitely a shame, because it's clear from just the experiments we have done that there are a class of queries that actually are easier to express in SPARQL than XQuery.
Look for a posting on Monday concerning the experiment :-).[Read More]